Re: Why did I buy a Jetpack?
DEB6651
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestion.  It is a good suggestion.   We have been doing this and it works fine but I signed up for hotspot that would slow down to 3g speed after  using 10 gigabytes of 4g.  I'm paying $20 a month and it isn't worth it.  I'm telling as many of my family and friends as possible about this. 

.25 mbps is not acceptable 3g.  The first customer service rep I talked to (for over 1 1/2 hours) couldn't figure out what was the issue.   She thought it was an issue with my jetpack and told me to call a different number the next day and talk to a technician.  She never once realized that that my internet speed was being throttled.  Later on two different customer service reps at Verizon told me that .25 mbps  is acceptable to Verizon.   How crazy is that?

0 Likes
harleyman22
Contributor - Level 1

They are trying to redefine what 3G is. I have previous replies by Verizon customer service reps that state 3G speeds should be around 2 mbps. Now that unlimited data is in play it has suddenly dropped to .6 mbps.

0 Likes
DEB6651
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two Verizon reps told told me that my speed was being throttled because I used my 10gigabytes of 4g.  I tried to explain to them that .25mbps isn't acceptable 3g and that there are times you can not even do a Verizon speed test on the internet because it is so slow it just gives an error message.   I was only told by my local Verizon store that my speed would go down to 3g.  They didn't tell me it would be throttled down to .25 mbps. 

The first Verizon rep I talked to didn't even realize that my speed was being throttled.   She thought something was wrong with my jetpack. 

0 Likes
Autotraker
Enthusiast - Level 2

My son has an old 3G phone and using the same speed test with his phone sitting next to my JetPack he got 1.2Gbps and I got 0.2Gbps. Talking to tech support he checked my JetPack and told me it doesn't even support 3G. So the JetPack is still on the 4G network just being throttled to a arbitrary low speed. So its not 3G just some Version idea of what 3G might look like even though their actual 3G is quite a bit faster.

Its a big con thinking those that got the JetPack will not notice they are paying for sub-3G speeds. Honestly I can't imagine why Verizon would want to burn their customers like this. Maybe they just don't have the infrastructure to support all their customers on a decent speed. Its not like they even have a plan they can bump you to for more money. I can't figure it out unless they want to chase customers away. Unless I see some decent speeds on my JetPack by the end of the billing cycle they can kiss my account and I will go elsewhere. I do not have a contract and I own all my own devices including the JetPack so I can just pickup and leave. I feel sorry for anyone what was suckered into a 2-year contract.

harleyman22
Contributor - Level 1

Same here..i had one rep ready to send me a new jetpack

0 Likes
Autotraker
Enthusiast - Level 2

The store actually was going to swap mine out thinking there was something wrong with it until they put my SIM in the new device and it was still running at the same old 0.25Gbps speed. They are the ones who actually called tech support and the first guy said it didn't support 3G at all, was surprised it even worked on 3G. He switched us to another tech. The second support tech said oh yea, its not the device or 3G, you are still connected to 4G and after doing some more tests he came back to say I was being throttled to that speed and there was nothing he could do since there was nothing wrong with the device or the network.

The salesman then suggested I buy another JetPack so I'd have 4G again after the first got throttled. Yea right, imagine that, I'm gonna buy a second JetPack and switch them out when one hits 10G? Its almost laughable if it wasn't so crocked...

0 Likes
harleyman22
Contributor - Level 1

Same thing happened to me. When the rep at the store did a speed test, her first words were.."Oh my"

0 Likes
suzannetree

What happened to me was the guy said if we bundle this all together we can save you money.  So get the Jetpack and do the online billpay (I was switching over to unlimited data) and your bill will only go up by 6 bucks.  I went in on the 15th day to return and they wouldn't change a thing for me. Wait, I take that back, they said would charge me 50 bucks to return it, but I'd still have to pay the 20 dollar monthly fee.  They had me call the Loyalty team, the girl there told me yes indeed if I hadn't have bought the Jetpack my phone bill of almost 300 dollars (4 phones) would be 20 bucks less.  

During all of this I saw number on my bill that I didn't recognize.  THAT is for the HUM that they scammed me into last summer.  So I will pay on that until July 2020.  I use NEITHER of these things.  I am disgusted and can't even look at a Verizon store.  Verizon is tricky and I imagine them sitting around the round table thinking ways up to confuse their customers.  

Shame on your Verizon.  

Warn your friends and families to be careful.  

0 Likes
Lesquit929

What difference device is available then?

0 Likes