Why Is My Jetpack Being Throttled With The "Unlimited" Plan?
mebpapa
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am well aware of Verizon's new restructured "Unlimited" plans. Verizon will now throttle me back to 600Kbps after certain usage thresholds on my devices. With my plan I have two phones and an Ellipsis Jetpack. I use the Jetpack to connect computers and other devices to the internet. While I understand it is Verizon's right to throttle back my speed after the 15 GB amount has been met I am curious as to why, with 4Gbs still remaining on my Jetpack before throttling is supposed to occur, I am now only able to get speeds around 550Kbps? I have run a very reliable speed test 5 times with the same results within a small differential of change. (On average I am only getting 550Kbps on my Jetpack.) If I connect through my phone with it set as a Hotspot I am getting much faster speeds. On average these tests, run 5 times, are showing speeds around 21Mbps. Don't tell me it's a network thing. And yes my Jetpack is currently running the most recent firmware updates. This throttling down is a poor decision on all cellular carriers part and they, like their cable network brethren, will soon see a technology arrive that allows customers more choices and better choices and their customer base will flee in droves and then they will scratch their collective heads and wonder "How did we not see this coming?" Perhaps they should read these posts, listen to their paying customers and explain to their shareholders that some profit shrinking is necessary to provide users with what they want. And then they would see profits rise again through the increase in their customer bases. As always, American technology companies are shortsighted!

0 Likes
Re: Why Is My Jetpack Being Throttled With The "Unlimited" Plan?
ambonito

I was told the Verizon Jetpack plan was not supposed to be subject to throttling. The reps lie to get a sale. That's all there is to it.

0 Likes
Re: Why Is My Jetpack Being Throttled With The "Unlimited" Plan?
ambonito

These Jetpack plans were developed for RVers. Many had posted the plans were not supposed to be throttled down. I didn't think it would last, but Verizon said it was true. Today after I used 15 gigs my speed dropped to a snail's pace. Worse yet, Verizon will not recognize calls from TracFone cellphones. Not one of their numbers, including new business phone numbers will accept calls from our phones!

0 Likes