What is the advantage to using a jetpack?
GQuack

Greetings. My wife and I are moving to an area that only gets internet via satellite. VPN required for my wife's work connection works poorly on satellite. I purchased a jetpack and upgraded our data plan to resolve this issue.

My wife has three devices, laptop, iPhone, and iPad. Both the iPhone (of course) and the iPad have cellular capability. The iPhone and iPad are both configured so that she can use those devices for her job Bring Your Own Device program and access work systems.  Her laptop will be connected wirelessly to the jetpack rather than use a hotspot from either the iPhone or iPad. Question: is there any advantage to connecting either and / or both the iPhone and iPad to the jetpack wirelessly as well rather than just allow those two devices to use their native cellular capability?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Advantage to jetpack versus native cellular connection
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> is there any advantage to connecting either and / or both the iPhone and iPad to the jetpack wirelessly as well rather than just allow those two devices to use their native cellular capability?

In theory there should be no difference.  Its all the same VZW network and your devices will get the same access from one technique as they would from another.

In practice you may find that native connections on the devices will perform slightly better than that from the Jetpack.  The Jetpack is an additional connection node that your devices will have to manage between them and the VZW network.  This is also a WiFi connection which is prone to its own issues and technical limitations (half-duplex, interference, distance) compared to a built in connection or a cabled connection (full-duplex).  From a pure performance standpoint the native connections should always perform slightly better and will be easier to troubleshoot than going through a Jetpack first.

More information on half-duplex vs full-duplex:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-half-duplex-and-full-duplex-operation-and-how-does-it-affect-yo...

The Jetpack has an advantage which is that it can support multiple devices from a single cellular connection, especially when a native cellular connection is not available like on a printer.  However the Jetpack has a disadvantage which is that its an additional connection for devices that may already have a direct link to VZW.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

Unless you need devices all on the same local network, keeping the native connection is what I would do. 

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> is there any advantage to connecting either and / or both the iPhone and iPad to the jetpack wirelessly as well rather than just allow those two devices to use their native cellular capability?

In theory there should be no difference.  Its all the same VZW network and your devices will get the same access from one technique as they would from another.

In practice you may find that native connections on the devices will perform slightly better than that from the Jetpack.  The Jetpack is an additional connection node that your devices will have to manage between them and the VZW network.  This is also a WiFi connection which is prone to its own issues and technical limitations (half-duplex, interference, distance) compared to a built in connection or a cabled connection (full-duplex).  From a pure performance standpoint the native connections should always perform slightly better and will be easier to troubleshoot than going through a Jetpack first.

More information on half-duplex vs full-duplex:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-half-duplex-and-full-duplex-operation-and-how-does-it-affect-yo...

The Jetpack has an advantage which is that it can support multiple devices from a single cellular connection, especially when a native cellular connection is not available like on a printer.  However the Jetpack has a disadvantage which is that its an additional connection for devices that may already have a direct link to VZW.

Re: What is the advantage to using a jetpack?
mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only reason we have them is to sit them in the windows or under the front porch because the house completely blocks out the already weak signal being in such a rural area.