Re: Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm reading their posts as they have a 4g smartphone with a grandfathered unlimited data plan feature for $29.99 and have added the mobile hotspot feature to the line for an additional $30.00 per month. They want to change the phone to a data only device like a jetpack or mifi device.

I do agree with you that if the OP changes their smartphone to a jetpack or mifi hotspot device their unlimited data plan will be changed to one of the currently available tiered mobile broadband access data plans required for the standalone hotspot devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
LoyalSince2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone would be required to be connected to a signal booster continually to receive a signal ie. the phone could not be unplugged from the signal booster and recieve signal. Signal boosters require hard wire connection. While a bluetooth could be utilized, the signal booster's wired connectors tend to get hot; therefore, I don't want my phone ruined due to Verizon's lack of tower and or signal within the area. Ultimately, a hotspot is cheaper to replace than a phone if it were to overheat while connected.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The network extender connects to the phone through the cellular signal and not a wired or Bluetooth connection.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

They don't want a network extender, they want a signal booster. The OP does not have a broadband internet connection to their home?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Would a home-based internet connection through cable be possible so that you could use a network extender?  May not be an option for you since you seem to need 4G and the extender is only 3G.  The one offered by Verizon is 3G, and there was talk of a 4G in the works, and even though 4G extenders are on the market, it might be up to Verizon as to its compatibility when registered.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps could give some suggestions on the kinds of boosters that might help the OP.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I think I see where the breakdown in communication is. In my statement below

"I assume your unlimited hotspot is a 3G hotspot. When 4G hotspots were introduced, Verizon did not offer unlimited data on them and when imigrating from a 3G to a 4G hotspot, they would not allow unlimited data in the transition."

I am referring to a standalone mobile hotspot, not a mobile hotspot included on a phone. It sounds as if you don't currently have a standalone mobile hotspot?

Verizon has different plans for standalone mobile hotspots and smartphones with an incorporated mobile hotspot. The plans are not interchangeable. If you transfer a SIM card from your phone with unlimited data and an unlimited mobile hotspot, you will lose the unlimited data and the unlimited mobile hotspot. Instead of keeping both of those items, you will be switched to a standalone mobile hotspot data plan which does not have the option of unlimited data.

If you want to use a signal booster with a unlimited data on the hotspot incorporated in your phone, it will have to be on your phone and not a standalone mobile hotspot.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
LoyalSince2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Snn5

That's where

At first, I believed I would install home internet. After considering the costs and labor of installation, buying the cable wires and 3-inch conduit pipes for the cable wires to be placed into then dig a 3-foot deep trench 75 feet long for an internet company to come out and connect service with an additional service fee, I decided this would not be completed any time soon.

Here's what would be required to complete this option:

1. Coaxial Cable 100 ft. =$24.97

8. Conduit 3in. x 10ft. =$15.09 ea. / $120.72 Total

9. Conduit 3in. Couplings =$1.38 ea. / $12.42 Total

2. Conduit 3in. 90 Degree Elbow = $7.32 ea. / $14.64 Total

Supplies total $172.75

Then include the cost for monthly service:

15 MBPS = $52.99

Activation Fee = $40.00

DOCSIS 3.0 = $149.99

Installation Costs = $242.98

Grand Total = $415.73 without tax

Yet, the labor and time to dig the trench for installation so the lawn mower doesn't tear through the wires isn't included.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you only have to go 75 feet to get from the Internet providers line to your residence, I would consider installing landline internet capabilities as a home improvement that will increase the value of the home. That's pennies compared to what some people and companies are willing to pay to get reliable power and fiber to places in this country.

0 Likes