Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
LoyalSince2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums. Here is my explanation to the issue at hand, then my question follows.

@@@Recently, I have relocated. I contacted Verizon’s support regarding the coverage area and found Verizon doesn’t have a tower within the area and or the signal from the tower is below standard. ATT is the closet tower available. To receive a signal from an ATT tower, which is the closest tower, I have to mount my cell phone to a satellite dish to receive 2 bars of 4G LTE signal with asu ranging between 26-29. Without the satellite dish, I receive 1X or 1 bar of 3G signals. I’ve been a loyal Verizon customer for several years. Originally, my Verizon account was set up for data plan only and then I converted it into a voice and data plan. A few years ago, I purchased my Note 2, cash in full. However, due to the lack of Verizon’s coverage area I am looking at purchasing a signal booster. The signal boosters Verizon offers is for customers whom already have home internet installed unlike other available signal boosters. At first, I believed I would install home internet. After considering the costs and labor of installation, buying the cable wires and 3-inch conduit pipes for the cable wires to be placed into then dig a 3-foot deep trench 75 feet long for an internet company to come out and connect service with an additional service fee, I decided this would not be completed any time soon. Now I’m stuck trying to decide whether I should purchase a signal booster, which would require my phone to be connected to it continually to ensure signal. However, I don’t want to ruin my phone; therefore, I’d like to purchase a mobile hotspot and use my SIM card in the mobile hotspot to utilize my data service while being connected to a signal booster to avert ruining my Note 2. I have read over Verizon’s Customer Agreement several times and it specifically states the following “Your wireless phone is any device equipped to receive our wireless voice or data service”. Ultimately, my question is this, “Will my grandfathered unlimited data plan remain the same if I utilize a different device with my SIM card”?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
rcschnoor
Legend

LoyalSince2009 wrote:

I have read over Verizon’s Customer Agreement several times and it specifically states the following “Your wireless phone is any device equipped to receive our wireless voice or data service”. Ultimately, my question is this, “Will my grandfathered unlimited data plan remain the same if I utilize a different device with my SIM card”?

Your unlimited phone data will not transfer to a mobile hotspot. Whether or not you can use your phone's SIM card in it, I don't know, but if you can you will lose your unlimited data as mobile hotspots have different plans associated with them.

Unfortunately, if your phone cannot receive a signal at your home, it is unlikely a mobile hotspot will be able to do so, either.

View solution in original post

Re: Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
rcschnoor
Legend

LoyalSince2009 wrote:

I have read over Verizon’s Customer Agreement several times and it specifically states the following “Your wireless phone is any device equipped to receive our wireless voice or data service”. Ultimately, my question is this, “Will my grandfathered unlimited data plan remain the same if I utilize a different device with my SIM card”?

Your unlimited phone data will not transfer to a mobile hotspot. Whether or not you can use your phone's SIM card in it, I don't know, but if you can you will lose your unlimited data as mobile hotspots have different plans associated with them.

Unfortunately, if your phone cannot receive a signal at your home, it is unlikely a mobile hotspot will be able to do so, either.

Snn5
Legend

Keeping unlimited data I know is important, and I don't know your financial budget, but paying for a quality booster (if it even helps) to maintain any level of useful service signal and being tied down with extra equipment versus using a carrier which will work in your area seems to be what would go through my mind.  After all, if you are out of contract and not on Edge with an unpaid-in-full phone, you have no ETF, so you are already in a better position since some people would pay for a booster and then if that didn't work, pay an ETF.  Double whammy.  It sounds like you really don't have a great signal from any carrier in the area with ATT being the best of the worst.  But, at the end of the day, a booster on a 2 bar network is better than a booster on no network.

Re: Re: Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
LoyalSince2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

@rcschnoor

If my cell phone can be mounted to a satellite dish to receive a signal, a booster will work and can work while connected to a mobile hotspot. Currently, I have for an unlimited hotspot and data. Therefore, if I’m already paying for both the unlimited data and hotspot I should not be limited to the device of my choice.

Please refer to 47 CFR 27.16(b) Network access requirements for Block C, Use of Devices and Applications paragraph (b) read in part:

Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the Licensee’s C Block network.

Additionally, in 47 CFR 27.16(c)(1) Network access requirements for Block C, Technical Standards in paragraph (c) subparagraph (1) read:

Standards shall include technical requirements reasonably necessary for third parties to access a licensee's network via devices or applications without causing objectionable interference to other spectrum users or jeopardizing network security. The potential for excessive bandwidth demand alone shall not constitute grounds for denying, limiting, or restricting access to the network.

Lastly, in 47 CFR 27.16(d) Network access requirements for Block C, Access Requests in paragraph (d) read: “

Licensees shall establish and publish clear and reasonable procedures for parties to seek approval to use devices or applications on the licensees' networks. A licensee must also provide to potential customers notice of the customers' rights to request the attachment of a device or application to the licensee's network, and notice of the licensee's process for customers to make such requests, including the relevant network criteria.

Ultimately, I’m seeking approval to change my device (from Note 2 to Mobile Hotspot) and attach a device (signal booster) without changes to my unlimited hotspot and data plan.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Well after 2.5 hours and 3 unresponsive live chat representatives later, I'll bring my question to the forums.
LoyalSince2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Snn5

I’ve carefully evaluated the financial costs associated with everything, including but not limited to, installation, monthly service costs, extra supplies, and/or equipment. Additionally, the closest carrier is ATT; however, as previously stated,

without the satellite dish, I receive 1X or 1 bar of 3G signals.

Therefore, changing carriers wouldn’t resolve the issue because I would still necessitate a booster to receive

any useful service signal.

Ultimately, I would appreciate it if Verizon would answer my question instead of being unresponsive.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

LoyalSince2009 wrote:

@rcschnoor

If my cell phone can be mounted to a satellite dish to receive a signal, a booster will work and can work while connected to a mobile hotspot. Currently, I have for an unlimited hotspot and data. Therefore, if I’m already paying for both the unlimited data and hotspot I should not be limited to the device of my choice.

I assume your unlimited hotspot is a 3G hotspot. When 4G hotspots were introduced, Verizon did not offer unlimited data on them and when imigrating from a 3G to a 4G hotspot, they would not allow unlimited data in the transition.

From your posts, I assume you have a 4G phone. Since Verizon does not allow unlimited data on 4G hotspots, I doubt they will allow it on a 4G smartphone being utilized as a hotspot.

Lastly, Verizon has different plans for phones and hotspots. You must have a phone plan for a phone and a hotspot plan for a hotspot. Inserting a SIM card from a phone into a hotspot will have Verizon change your plan from a phone plan to a hotspot plan and in the process, lose your unlimited data.

LoyalSince2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

rcschnoor

No, my hotspot is 4G. I was able to do this by being grandfathered with unlimited data, purchasing a 4G phone with 4G hotspot capabilities.

4G Mobile Hotspot

Mobile Broadband Connect

Use your Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone as a modem to get instant online access on your computer.

Mobile Hotspot

Using your 4G LTE Smartphone, share your data allowance with multiple WI-FI enabled devices. No additional drivers or software necessary. Requires an unlimited data package/plan subscription of $29.99 or higher.

Unlimited Data

Customer Information: Smartphone Talk Free Promotion

If your plan includes the Smartphone Talk Free Promotion, you are required to have Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones for $29.99. If you switch to another data package, your promotion and the $9.99/line/mo. credit will be removed. Please contact Customer Service if you wish to change your data package.

Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.

Easy email account setup.

Access up to 10 Personal Email accounts.

Open and view Email attachments.

Enjoy unlimited Internet access.

Voice Usage is per your your calling plan.

The Email and Web for Smartphone Features are designed for personal, consumer use and are not compatible with some Internet email service offerings or with email applications utilizing BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Desktop Software, Wireless Sync or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server or Good™ Mobile Messaging. These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; any other use is not permitted using these features. Coverage limitation & map at verizonwireless.com.

Ultimately, since I have both voice and data services and Verizon's Customer Agreement states,

Your wireless phone is any device equipped to receive our wireless voice or data service...

It appears, Verizon should update the National Customer Agreement because it is outdated; however, this is what Verizon Customer's Agree to when signing up for an account. The bottom line is original contract.

After your minimum term, you’ll become a month-to month customer under this agreement...

If I'm paying for 4G Mobile Hospot, Broadband Connect, Unlimted Data and voice usage is based on my calling plan then Verizon shouldn't deny my device of choice by limiting what devices can use the SIM card, which was paid for during my purchase.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

LoyalSince2009 wrote:

Recently, I have relocated. I contacted Verizon’s support regarding the coverage area and found Verizon doesn’t have a tower within the area and or the signal from the tower is below standard.

You want Verizon to respond to the above statement, for which I'm sure they will tell you that they cannot just construct a tower overnight.  Without a tower, there isn't much they can do to accommodate one person.  You did however move to an area where Verizon is not prominent.  Rcschnoor gave you about the best information you'll find in a candid manner without the canned responses and endless direct messages from a vzw rep in the forum.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I guess I must be misunderstanding something here.

If you CURRENTLY have a 4G hotspot with unlimited data, why do you need to transfer the SIM card from your phone to the hotspot?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where did you relocate to to have trouble getting both a Verizon and ATT signal? Can you get landline Internet in this location? If you can, perhaps a booster will help with the voice call quality.

The mobile hotspot devices use a Mobile Broadband data plan and is coded differently than the Smartphone Data plan feature on smartphones. All USB modems, mifi devices, mobile hotspot Jetpack device that are capable of connecting to the LTE signal are required to use the tiered data plans for 4g mobile broadband access.

The 4g smartphones did have an unlimited data plan feature with an option for a mobile hotspot add-on for an additional cost on top of the smartphone data plan cost. Both the smartphone data plan feature and the smartphone mobile hotspot add-on are incompatible with a standalone mobile broadband device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.