Mifi 4510L Now 3G only?
DWINFLORIDA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got an sms from Verizon this afternoon saying "due to network changes, LG Revolution and VL600, Pantech Breakout, and MiFi 4510L will only connect at 3G speeds"

I'm reading this as a permanent issue due to network upgrades/changes. Can I get confirmation of that? I haven't seen a firmware update in eons for this devlce, so I assume thats not a possible fix.

And if it IS permanent, maybe someone from Verizon can explain the logic behind taking a device that works fine on a 4G network and rendering it useless.

Ironically, I'm traveling, roaming on Appalachian Wireless in rural eastern KY, and showing a 4G connection. Appalachian's 4G service from a throughput standpoint is in name only, its barely 3G, but the device does indicate a 4G connection.

Re: Mifi 4510L Now 3G only?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I am not aware of anything that would cause 4G LTE to break on an entire device like that.

Couple of red flags here:

1. Verizon decided to text/SMS you?  That doesn't sound official at all and is easy to spoof.

2. Verizon decided to do something that completely disables an entire network option on a previously working device?  That doesn't sound like something Verizon would do without sending a massive communication or generate some headlines.  I can think this would trigger tons of request for refunds/reimbursements/free upgrades from users who depend on that connectivity.

3. No word of a firmware update?  Its unlikely Verizon would be able to impact your specific device model without pushing some kind of firmware update to do so. Otherwise I'd think they would be impacting everyone on a given frequency/channel in an area and would be a huge problem.

4. Your device is still showing 4G.  Then Verizon is still on the hook to support your device as if 4GLTE is still working.  It wouldn't make sense for a device to detect 4G LTE but VZW to have disabled that service.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one.  Lets see if we can find any headlines to confirm.  Someone could try contacting VZW to confirm too.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DWINFLORIDA, it's important that you get the answers that you need about your devices and new technology. Please refer to the Private Message that I sent. 

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DAMWAL82
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same message.  I saw it while I was signed into Verizon Business portal, I think.   Anyway, thought I would browse here and get more info.  I have several pieces that will be affected.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Can you capture and display the message for us either in a photo or a screenshot?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DAMWAL82, 

I would be concerned if I received an alerting message regarding my Jetpack, especially if multiple devices will be affected. Let's take a closer look. For us to fully assist, respond to the private message. 

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DWINFLORIDA
Enthusiast - Level 2

A year later, I get this message again. And...I'm still showing 4G connectivity.

I never did get the referenced "private message", but would seem my device is fine, and VZ just needs to figure out the source of these messages.

I have to assume the message is legit, it doesn't have any kind of the usual "scam" hooks to it. I'd be more inclined to think its a poorly planned and executed VZ marketing attempt to get me to upgrade my hotspot.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, DWINFLORIDA, and thank you for takin gthe time to reach us. We'd be more than happy to assis tyou with any questions, or concerns you have pertaining to your Verizon account. To start, have you performed any troubleshooting on this device since you've gotten this 3G alert? AnthonyM_VZW

0 Likes
DWINFLORIDA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please re-read my original post, and my latest one.

The device is working fine, in 4G mode.

The question is, are the two messages I have gotten from VZ in the last year truly from VZ, and if so, why are they being sent when they are obviously in error?

Again..the device is functioning fine..the issue is with the sms I received from VZ..please focus your attention on *that* issue.

0 Likes