Re: MIFI 8800l JetPack Suddenly Drops Connection
wmdunnaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello AkaneM ... I tried replying to the link you posted, but it simply leads to an error page.  So I'll answer you here.  First of all, I have run many speed tests, and the results are varied.  Sometimes they are as high as 85 down, 25 up.  Often they are as low as 4-5 down, 2-3 up.  They average somewhere around 15-20 down, 10 or so up.  My zip code in Phoenix is 85028, and the nearest main intersection is Cactus Road and Tatum Blvd.  We have five (5) devices that we use with the JetPack, usually only one or two at the same time.  They are two iPhones, a Roku, a Sony Android tablet, and a Chromebook.

Again, when the Mifi works, it is fine ... it simply stops working every 30 minutes or so.  It worked fine for the first six weeks, but the last couple of weeks have been awful.  I have probably reset the device over 100 times.  I have been through all the check points ... factory reset twice, gone through all the settings to make sure they are proper, nothing helps.  I was so hopeful when I bought the 8800L JetPack and moved all our accounts to Verizon, but now ... we are really sad!  Thanks for trying to help.

- Bill

0 Likes
p_a_sanders
Enthusiast - Level 2

My only issue with the response of it hitting a 3G area is that my device does not move and as far as I can tell I'm hitting 4G at all times. And that when it drops, it is specifically at 921.6MB of data used...consistently. Funny how I would drop to 3G always at that number, not likely.

No, Verizon has a problem and they're not addressing it.

0 Likes
Mrantala
Enthusiast - Level 2

From everything that I've read so far, I don't see an overwhelming amount of reports coming in that are indicating any 1 particular clue that seems to either be triggering the disconnects, or at least is a good predictor of when the disconnect is going to happen. Other's have indicate time ranges, other's indicate particular tasks or surfing they might be doing, etc. 

So, I know that in my case, it's almost overwhelmingly true, that when a session nears that 920MB mark, I'll lose the internet (still connected to the device though).  When i reference a session, this is what I'm referring to.  If you log into the Admin Pages of the JetPack, and then click on "Other" - box or category, and you'll see information about the jetpacks connectivity.  You'll also see a Data In/Data Out fields that increase while you surf the net.  At the very bottom, you'll see a button the references internet Sessions.  Click on that, and click through the notice box,and you should have another tab or window opened with a listing of dates/times, data in, data out, data total, etc.  9.5 times of out 10 in my listings, each session ends at 920mb total, and that's when I have to restart the device.

I hope that helps to clarify.  Again, you can check yours, but you may or may not have any consistencies in your data amounts like I do, but worth a check maybe.

0 Likes
wmdunnaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the information. I performed one of my factory resets five days

ago, so my internet sessions only go back that far. I just checked, and

mine are like yours. There are no sessions that go beyond the 920MB range,

and that is where my device needed to be reset. It would appear as though

something in the JetPack's code is limiting the amount of data per session.

- Bill

0 Likes
ANDASH62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, your explanation of how to retrieve the Internet Sessions

information was very clear.

As I suspected, I have never had a session reaching 920MB, and the vast

majority are nowhere near that. And yet it drops all the time.

I'm in a 3G/4G zone. Most of the time, the 4G signal is 2 or 3 bars,

sometimes as low as 1, and my guess is that sometimes it simply drops to

zero and that's when the disconnect occurs.

I agree, it sounds like there are multiple causes of the disconnects.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:01 AM Mrantala <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
N734BV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having that same problem as well with my 8800L.  It just started today (maybe last night after I went to bed).  I get to about 920MB or so and nothing.  It resets and reconnects immediately and everything is fine again for the next 920MB or so.  This behavior is intolerable as I've moved everything (TV, Internet, Phone) to run through this device and I've discontinued all other services.  This needs to be fixed ASAP; not tomorrow, not next week; NOW.

0 Likes
ANDASH62
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm curious: For those of you hitting 920 MB all the time: what plan are

you using? I'm on the "unlimited" plan that has no limits on overall usage,

but speed does slow down considerably once I hit 15 G per month. If you're

doing more than 1G per day (and it sounds like that), are you just paying

monthly overages to keep up the speed?

0 Likes
N734BV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on the unlimited prepaid plan. 

0 Likes
wmdunnaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm on the unlimited prepaid plan as well. My speeds do go up and down,

but the disconnect at an inside set limit is really discouraging, and

disingenuous on Verizon's part. I moved six phones from my previous

carrier, and will have to reconsider that decision, if this doesn't get

remedied soon.

Mrantala
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Bill - Thanks for getting back to me. That's good that you told me that

you're seeing the same kind of disconnection at even that it's occurring

around the same 920MB limit within a session.

I hope it's ok that I forward your message on to the Verizon rep that I've

been working with. I'm sure it would be helpful for him to be aware of

another person who's been able to confirm the same type of issue as mine.

Thank you,

Regards,

Matt Rantala

0 Likes