Re: MIFI 8800l JetPack Suddenly Drops Connection
MrMagnet

I too am experiencing random service drops.

Has Verizon resolved the issue for you?

I believe I may need the same solution, as our devices are behaving similarly.

0 Likes
wmdunnaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've not seen a solution yet.  Hoping Verizon will help us get to the bottom of this issue. 

Bill

0 Likes
wmdunnaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I spent considerable time with Verizon tech support this morning.  They refreshed my settings and connection to the tower.  Everything worked great for 35 minutes, and then the jetpack lost the connection, just as it has for the last two weeks.  I'm at a loss as to what to do now.  So frustrating to have spent $200 for a device that won't work consistently.

ANDASH62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, this product appears to be complete garbage. I've had exactly the same problem, and Verizon's failure to respond further on this message board suggests that they're just trying to hide from the problem.

Time for me to send a message to upper management.

ANDASH62
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I spoke with "Tier 2" tech support a few minutes ago, and I think I may have the answer.

When I was sold the 8800L, I was told by the rep at the Verizon store that it had both 4G and 3G compatibility. The device looks virtually identical to the previous version, which is the 7730L, which did in fact have both.

However, it turns out that the 8800L is 4G only, which means that if/when the signal fluctuates (and apparently that happens all the time), it is going to drop.

And, it turns out that the old version (7730L) was retired in January, so apparently it can't be had now.

I think Verizon needs to rethink this.

0 Likes
wmdunnaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

So did tech support have an answer as to why the 8800L JetPack worked fine

during the first two months?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:44 PM ANDASH62 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
ANDASH62
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had problems more or less from day one, so I didn't ask that question. If

you call tech support again, tell them that you've gone through all the

resets and all that, and (ii) that you know this is a widespread problem

due to posts on the Verizon Wireless Community, and then ask to speak with

a Tier 2 tech support person. If you're really lucky, you'll get to speak

with the person I spoke with (Rahim or Raheem).

Mrantala
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi there... just a quick comment.  You actually bring up a good point in regards to the 3g Fallback.  i guess that might be a concern for people that live in areas that are on the fringe of 3g/4g coverage. They're lucky... I'm still stuck on 2G - Ha, just kidding. 😉  I honestly don't believe that's going to the actually issue in a majority of these cases.  And I know for sure it's not the reason in my case.  I'm not sure that I by that persons theory behind the issue either. It seems to me you would have other indicators of problems (such as signal strength of 1 bar or no bars - Indicating it's not getting a 4g signal and would be about to drop out).  Again, I don't know, but doesn't feel right to me.

My 8800l on the prepaid unlimited plan has a consistent indicator of when the connection drops, and it's has so about 98% of the time since it started  on/about Jan. 14th (purchased and used 2nd day after release all the way up to Jan 14 - worked excellent ... !  No real issues what so ever. no drops, no restarts that I could tell, etc.).  When an internet session reaches 920 MB, connection is cut.  After restart, it's restored immediately, and then cuts again at 920 MBs.  Only a handful of times when it has exceed the 920 MB mark (and then only to be cut around 1.25 GB).

My Reps been pretty honest with me, and I truly do believe that they are working on this issue.  I can fall back on my old ISP, costs more but it's stable.

In my opinion, Verizon needs to get out in front of this because it's getting more widespread and to be honest, it's not fair to have people who are just experiencing it - to have to go through all the very basic trouble shooting steps with other reps, that are not going to get them anywhere.  That' s only going to alienate customers.

Put up a dedicate Verizon WebPage and gives an overview of the current issues, systems that people are experiencing, etc. and keep it updated daily, maybe a couple times a day with progress on resolving the issue, and also Verizon better light a fire under Inseego's management and tech teams to get on this and provide daily updates as well.  I would almost have to believe that those on the team that designed this product, should have a pretty damn good idea already as to what the issue is - since they should be able to trace this problem at the very low level electrical transfer of data through the circuitry...!  Just get it done.  And Verizon should stop allowing returns on these products right now, until they know what is going on.  If it's a problem with the unit, or whatever and needs to be replaced, then they need to cover all the expenses.  Don't be charging customers restocking fees on a product that could be a lemon anyways.  That's just simply poor customer care.  Period.

And that's how I feel.... lol.

Regards,

Matt

ANDASH62
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's interesting. I've had it happen without reaching 920 MB (or anywhere

close) in one session (by "session" I mean the full period between turning

the unit on and off, not having my computer connected or surfing or not: is

this what you mean?)

Also: How are you able to measure usage so closely?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wmdunnaz, I can see how a lack of connection can result in a puzzling experience, so I am happy to help. We never want you to take a loss, especially when it is close to $200. Thanks for listing out the steps already taken, so we can make sure to avoid taking the same path. What devices are you using to connect? Please run a speed test and share your results with me here: http://spr.ly/6585Er9NP What is the closest intersection and zip code that you are located in?

AkaneM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes