Jetpack Mifi 6620L speeds have slowed
REDSKINS44
Enthusiast - Level 2
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, under "chose a board" I didn't see what I thought was a good place for a Jetpack hotspot issue. I have had the service for 6 months. I used to use satellite for internet it was horrible, dropping out up to a dozen times a day even when the weather was good. I never though a hotspot would work here with out a booster because my Verizon cell phone signal varies between 0-3 bars in my house, and that can vary in the same spot from one minute to the next. I tried the Jetpack figuring I had nothing to lose and the people at the Verizon store said that device has a much stronger antenna than my cell phone. As for my location halfway between my property and Hwy 95 is a tower in Chilesburgh Va. That tower is probably less than 3 miles as the crow flies if that crow flies another 3 miles there is a tower next to Hwy 95. Hwy 95 is the main North-South east coast thoroughfare and heavily congested on weekends in my area. When I got the service it was great compared to satellite, never dropped regardless of weather and speeds tested between 5-10 mbs regardless of time of day or day of the week. The trees leafed out in early spring as I am in the woods and that didn't seem to make any difference either. Then about a month or so ago I noticed nighttime and weekend speeds start to slow, day time speeds still remained in the 5-10 mbs range. The declining evening and weekend speed issue has gotten worse and worse. Between 8-9 am est this morning my speed tests have been 23, 233, 165, 114 kps, in that order. Yes I said kps, you can now compare my evening and weekend speeds in relation to dial up. For the record I am not close to getting throttled on my 15Gb plan when I am testing. Weekend speeds are worse than weekday evenings. I wonder what is causing the speed slow down? I am thinking a lot of people in my area have dumped satellite recently and it is a congestion issue compounded by some of the extra weekend traffic on Hwy 95 as the weather warms up. I also noticed some of the old sweet spots in my house for speed don't function as well either. Now it only works well in the far corner of the house. The area I live in only has a couple houses per square mile. The area is pretty flat, but heavily wooded between here and the towers.
0 Likes
Re: Jetpack Mifi 6620L speeds have slowed
REDSKINS44
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sorry, I typed this long read in paragraphs and it ran together when I posted.
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

These Kbps have got to go. I appreciate the layout of these details as we discover whether it’s the device or the area.
To point us down the right pathway, you mentioned that you have a Verizon Wireless cell there too. Does the hotspot service from the cell differ from the Verizon Jetpack MiFi 6620L . If unsure how to check, then we’ll just need to make and model of your cell phone.

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes
REDSKINS44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure I understand the question. My phone is an old LG flip phone and has nothing to do with the Jetpack. I had a ticket through support that was closed with a garbage response in a text about needing to click on a link http://www.vzw.com/signal. Of course I can't do that with a flip phone. I called *611 and was told that response meant I was in a boderline coverage area. I explained I  have lived in the same spot for 8 years and noting has changed. Regardless of whether my signal isn't the greatest the Jetpack used to work 24-7, now it doesn't a lot of the time. The tech got dowright rude when I brought up the issue of cell tower congestion. I told her I know next to nothing about the technology involved but common sense tells me thats what it is. I just ran two tests just recently at 2:19 am and got 2.7 Mbps and at 2:45 a.m. and got 3.3 Mbps. Obviously it bounced back up as most people are asleep right now.  I think it is a combination of a mass exodus from satellite service, combined with kids getting out of school. I kept prompting the tech for an honest answer and if it was congestion just tell me. She said it was 'propretary information" regarding a possible congestion issue. Another thing that is annoying as I have been told conflicting answers on whether a signal booster can help, all from various Verizon employees. My closest neighbor 1/4 mile away has ATT, I am going to check how they are doing recently with their internet. Nothing I hate more than being condescended to and given garbage answers that try to hide the truth.

0 Likes
REDSKINS44
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just watched that video, interesting that my trouble ticket concerned a Jetpack and they link me to a video about voice. What a joke!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

probably congestion since your speed issues coincide when people are likely to be on. Could be qutie few of your neoghbors had the same idea as you lately and switch to Verizon jetpack. it wouldn't take that many people deciding to use jetpack as home internet to clog the network.

0 Likes
REDSKINS44
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is what I figured @boring. It is probably exacerbated by kids coming home from college and summer coming. I wish the Verizon techs I talked to would just be honest. I am 2.56 miles from the tower as the crow flies it is wooded, with open areas for farms but pretty flat. Odd they consider that I live in a borderline coverage area. I wonder if all towers are not created equal and mine is on the inadequate side. At 8am I got a speed of 10 Mbps. I will see when it slows.

0 Likes