JetPack LTE Data Use
jrail4

This is really a multi-part question.

When does data start being charged on the JetPack LTE HotSpot device? That is, does data start flowing and be charged as soon as I turn it on OR do I only get charged data when I have connected to the JetPack WiFi via one of my mobile phones and have actually accessed the Internet via the JetPack WiFi?

If I connect to the JetPack WiFi but am not on the Internet, is data still being used or charged to my account? I'm trying to figure out how to save data when traveling other than stopping at McDonalds or some other place every time I want to hop on WiFi. I'm often not near an open WiFi location. For example, traveling cross country or through the desert, et al. I am hoping I am presuming if I am connected to the JetPack WiFi that my phone is not also being charged for data usage.

0 Likes
Re: JetPack LTE Data Use
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey, Jrail4! Thanks for reaching out to the community. We're here to assist you with your questions and concerns. The Jetpack is an awesome device that uses data once another device is connected to it. If the device you normally connect the Jetpack to has the Wi-Fi switch turned to the on position it can connect to the Jetpack automatically.

Any time you are connected to your Jetpack and using the internet on your device your data allowance is decreasing for the Jetpack. If you turn of the Wi-Fi setting in your phone and began to use data it will come from your phone's data allotment.

Have you looked into switching to the unlimited data plan to avoid these concerns? What plan are you currently on?

MarcusS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: JetPack LTE Data Use
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> When does data start being charged on the JetPack LTE HotSpot device?

As soon as it hits the VZW network.  Local network communication is not counted against your data plan.

> That is, does data start flowing and be charged as soon as I turn it on OR do I only get charged data when I have connected to the JetPack WiFi via one of my mobile phones and have actually accessed the Internet via the JetPack WiFi?

When something actually accesses the internet.  Its only internet communication that VZW holds against you on your plan.

> If I connect to the JetPack WiFi but am not on the Internet, is data still being used or charged to my account?

No.  Local network communication is not counted on your data plan.  You can do as much local network communication as you want.  You can even disable the VZW connection on some VZW Jetpacks and use them entirely as a local network device.

Keep in mind that you do not always see all of the data that your devices are sending or receiving across the internet.  VZW doesn't care if you are aware of the data usage or not.  Often times it is the background communication such as updates, patches and whatnot that catches people by surprise because its automatic and silent.  If VZW is billing you for it, then something from your Jetpack is accessing the VZW network.  Figuring what is chatting is the hard part so its a best practice to power down the Jetpack when it is not needed to isolate and reduce background chatter.

0 Likes