Is there a way to remotely run diagnostics on a Jetpack device?
malcolmccarlson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using a Jetpack at a remote location for security cameras and the cameras are no longer connected.  Is there a way to check the Jetpack diagnostics or logs remotely?  Log into it somehow and check the status and understand why the cameras went offline?

Tags (1)
Re: Is there a way to remotely run diagnostics on a Jetpack device?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is here! To view the details of your Jetpack, pull up a web browser and enter http://my.jetpack into the URL address field. Find full instructions here: http://spr.ly/66001dy4O.

BreannaH_VZW

0 Likes
malcolmccarlson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.  

I had no issues logging in locally to the device.  I wanted to monitor the device remotely, meaning it's at another location and I'm at home.  What would be ideal is an app or cloud portal I could login to to see the status of the device from anywhere.

The reason I asked is becuase the device had an issue recently.  I use it for a security system on a property 3.5 hours away from my home.  The cameras of the security system went offline.  What I wanted to do is check to see if the reason was because the jetpack was offline or in a bad state. If it was cloud connected via 4g, a remote reset would be nice. Notifications to email or text would also be helpful if it encounters an error.

Thanks,

Malcolm

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@malcolmccarlson wrote:

I am using a Jetpack at a remote location for security cameras and the cameras are no longer connected.  Is there a way to check the Jetpack diagnostics or logs remotely?  Log into it somehow and check the status and understand why the cameras went offline?

It might not be possible. You might have more options if you are using a VPN connection to connect the cameras to the Jetpack, but I'm not familiar with that kind of setup. 

@John_Getzke do you have any ideas? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Remote access into the Jetpack is not likely possible.  You would need the Jetpack itself to be on the VPN along with the camera it is supporting.  You would need to provide us more details on how you are setup for us to confirm the options.

In most cases a Camera does not have a VPN client built in.  This requires somethign else to host the VPN.  Most people then fall back on a 3rd party home router with a built in home router.  Anythign connected to that home router woudl then be accessible from the VPN connection. However the Jetpack usually acts as a modem and outside of the VPN tunnels influence.

With cloud cameras, only the camera is remote accessible.  The idividual network devices leading up to it are still blocked by the VZW NAT firewall.  All you can do is talk to the cloud cam.

Newer jetpacks come with a VPN client built into them.  If you have one of these models then it may be possible for you to remote access the device Jetpack for diagnostics.  However, that depends on the device being powered on, auto connected to VZW and auto connected to the VPN server without any problems.  I have not played around with the newer Jetpacks and the VPN clients to confirm beyond the theory of how it would work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Allow us to clarify, intructions on how to access the admin page are availible on this video: http://spr.ly/660815JRp. I hope this helps. AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes