If a Mi-Fi is connected but not actively being used, will it still use data?
OhNutts

If computer is on overnight but not in use, meaning MiFi connected, with that use up my data plan? Or does it use up with "active" use only? I'm sharing internet with other people so I'm not sure my data plan is being used on purpose or just getting eaten up while we are all asleep? I'm already maxed with 3 weeks to go!!!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data plan used if MiFi connected but not actively being used?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

As long as you have devices connected to the MiFi there is always a risk that those devices will consume data behind the scenes without your knowledge.  This is how network connected devices work, they are constantly "in use" while connected.  Computers, smart phones and any kind of internet connected devices are constantly backing up content, looking for updates and talking to other network devices.  It has nothing to do with your active participation and all internet communication is held against you on your data plan.

The only way to completely stop data usage is to turn off your MiFi when it is not needed.  This is a common safe practice that you should start using when on a metered data plan.  MiFis are not intended to be left on 24x7 anyways, frequent reboots will help ensure the device stays in proper working order and increase the longevity of its life.

Verizon does provide everyone with a data log.  The data log will provide you with time stamps and the amounts that are consumed at those times.  It should be easy to see when your biggest spikes of consumption are.  Isolate what devices are online during those times and what may have been going on and you can start to build a picture of where the problem lies.

To truly see the network traffic in terms of specific applications, web services or devices you need to find and install network monitors.  Network monitors come in a variety of applications so you need to find and build a monitoring system that fits your environment.  Considering you have other people connected to your MiFi it would not be uncommon for each of you to install a separate monitor specific to those machines.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

Re: Data plan used if MiFi connected but not actively being used?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

As long as you have devices connected to the MiFi there is always a risk that those devices will consume data behind the scenes without your knowledge.  This is how network connected devices work, they are constantly "in use" while connected.  Computers, smart phones and any kind of internet connected devices are constantly backing up content, looking for updates and talking to other network devices.  It has nothing to do with your active participation and all internet communication is held against you on your data plan.

The only way to completely stop data usage is to turn off your MiFi when it is not needed.  This is a common safe practice that you should start using when on a metered data plan.  MiFis are not intended to be left on 24x7 anyways, frequent reboots will help ensure the device stays in proper working order and increase the longevity of its life.

Verizon does provide everyone with a data log.  The data log will provide you with time stamps and the amounts that are consumed at those times.  It should be easy to see when your biggest spikes of consumption are.  Isolate what devices are online during those times and what may have been going on and you can start to build a picture of where the problem lies.

To truly see the network traffic in terms of specific applications, web services or devices you need to find and install network monitors.  Network monitors come in a variety of applications so you need to find and build a monitoring system that fits your environment.  Considering you have other people connected to your MiFi it would not be uncommon for each of you to install a separate monitor specific to those machines.

Let me know if you have any other questions.