How do I stop WIndows 10 forced update downloads?
Froido
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have to ration my use of my 6620L Jetpack, or go over our usage allotment.  My limited reading of information about Windows 10 indicates that it forces downloads of Windows updates; I want to avoid these downloads when using our Jetpack.

If there is one address Microsoft uses for updates, would it work to block that address in parental controls and thus prevent WIndows from downloading updates?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Stop WIndows 10 forced update downloads
Weth
Legend

I Agree with John Getzke, you are asking for trouble not keeping Windows updated.   I help family and friends all the time because of this.  

I Also understand you want control, it is reported if you set up the connection as a metered connection, the updates do not automatically download.  I have not tested this. 

What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10

Windows Won’t Download Updates on Metered Connections

Windows won’t download updates on connections you mark as “metered.” This ensures Windows won’t waste valuable tethering data or other mobile data on updates that can wait until it reaches a solid, unrestricted Wi-Fi network. To prevent Windows from downloading updates on a specific connection, first connect to that WI-Fi network.

Next, open the WI-Fi settings panel and select “Network settings,” or open the Settings app and select “Network & Internet.” Scroll down in the list of Wi-Fi networks and select “Advanced options.” Activate the “Set as metered connection” option here. Note that this only affects the current WI-FI network you’re connected to, but Windows will remember the setting for this specific network in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You can do a little googling to figure out ways to disable windows 10 updates:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

Its generally a bad idea to try and block updates from Microsoft.  These pathways are responsible for keeping your system patched and healthy.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I Agree with John Getzke, you are asking for trouble not keeping Windows updated.   I help family and friends all the time because of this.  

I Also understand you want control, it is reported if you set up the connection as a metered connection, the updates do not automatically download.  I have not tested this. 

What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10

Windows Won’t Download Updates on Metered Connections

Windows won’t download updates on connections you mark as “metered.” This ensures Windows won’t waste valuable tethering data or other mobile data on updates that can wait until it reaches a solid, unrestricted Wi-Fi network. To prevent Windows from downloading updates on a specific connection, first connect to that WI-Fi network.

Next, open the WI-Fi settings panel and select “Network settings,” or open the Settings app and select “Network & Internet.” Scroll down in the list of Wi-Fi networks and select “Advanced options.” Activate the “Set as metered connection” option here. Note that this only affects the current WI-FI network you’re connected to, but Windows will remember the setting for this specific network in the future.

0 Likes
Froido
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate both replies.  The cautions and links are useful.  My computers are up to date, on Microsoft and other software and I understand the importance of keeping them in that condition.  However, I want to control when the downloads are made and when the installs are done, especially when my internet access is through my Jetpack.

I had read previously most of the methods of defeating forced installs by selecting various Microsoft software settings.  This may work for me, except that I really need two sets of settings, one when I'm on the Jetpack and one when I'm on my home network.  Changing the settings back and forth might be a pain.

I had read of the metered connection exception, and did not realize that it was a "done deal" and would work, but it sounds like that may be my best answer.  I'd also disallow  using my bandwidth for peer to peer updating.

But simply so I'll understand, wouldn't  disallowing my Jetpack to connect to the Microsoft update site by using the Jetpack's parental controls prevent forced downloads from Microsoft?

0 Likes