Re: Has Anyone had an Unexplained Jump in Data Usage with the JetPack?
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did this and it shows that 10% of my usage was gaming which I do NOT do. Calls into question the whole tracking process and the validity of how much data we are charged for.

0 Likes
Callmeterry
Enthusiast - Level 1

Regarding the timing of the alerts, we got three over the space of several hours, so even if the first is delayed, the last wouldn't have been.  Also, when I look at usage through my account, dates and times are listed, so I could confirm that usage was occurring when I wasn't actively using the computer.  Thanks to earlier above from weth, I was at least able to track down some of the issue.

Patterns of usage are valuable....they are how many of us do business.  When there is an unexpected and initally unexplained jump, with no outwardly change in patterns of use, there WILL be questions.  To brush it off as not important is not good business and suggests a consumer is ignorant.  I would question the same of electric, gas, or other utility use if I saw an unexplained spike.

Which is why this forum is valuable.  As is why asking if anyone else had something similar happen.  It is not apples and oranges - many of the responses have focused on the common denominator of Windows 10.  Unfortunately, John, none of your response provided any usable information to help figure out where and what to look for.    If Verizon is unable to provide info due to privacy concerns, then the next best thing is to provide tools or methods to figure out where and what is going on with our data.   So far, the best info I've gotten so far has been from other users above.   

I was able to narrow down what was going on with my account to what is likely a Windows 10 issue with the help of earlier posts.  So thanks to the community.

wlabreeze

up and down for past two years. started at 6gb, now 20.gb. some days hits the fan. thinking of switching to installed internet with voip, but i know now home phone will be sucking data too. may skip voip. trying to get rid of ATT  live in spot where verizon only internet ser. or satilite. im screwed

0 Likes
Dguidry008

I have an iPhone 5 never had a data usage problem until the last 2 billing cycles. I'm currently 9 days into my current cycle with over 75% of my data gone from only 3 tv shows on HBOgo! That's 4.5 gigs from only 3 shows? I'd think it's a fluke expect that my sister and two friends are having the same data problems across 4 different devices. Only constant seems to be Vzw. Maybe something to look into...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's always fun to enjoy your favorite shows on a mobile device, Dguidry008. Many video apps, including HBO Go, stream videos in high definition, and better quality viewing means more data is used to ensure you get the same experience as your tv. Check the app settings to see if you can lower the quality when connected to a mobile network, or just make sure to use it mostly on WiFi. You can also see what else is using mobile data either via your phone settings, or online with our data utilization tool: http://vz.to/1Jv4PsM . As for your current cycle, we want to avoid overages there. You could consider turning off mobile data as it gets closer to going over, or you can increase your data plan if it does go over: http://vz.to/1FVgivb
RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

4.5 GB for three HD shows is what would be expected.  HBOgo adjusts quality and how data is used by the speed of your connection.  You can expect 1.5 to 4 GB per hour of video. 

0 Likes
bencolton

EXactly the same problem 2-1/2 yrs ago!  I went around and around with them for 6 months, exchanging out the jet pack for new one at my expense, giving them a 3-day log of when it was used that didn't match their records, left the jet pack at the store for 2 days and still racked up double usage, turned it off every night still double usage... They kept trying to satisfying me with $20 and $30 credits ea month month telling me they knew about this common issue/problem and that they were working on it.  They would not let me out of my 2-year contract with 18 months to go.  I argued and argued to no avail.  Finally I gave up, put the mifi in the trash (no usage on bill now!) and continued to pay for the monthly contract ea month!  Finally in April 2015, was able to cancel contract and told them what happened.  Response: " that's too bad, huh, never of that problem before!!!  Would you like to sign another 2-year contract and give it another try?"

This his would be such a good device for us as we travel the country and would be soooo convenient IF we were billed accurately! 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The person admits to watching 3 shows from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours of high definition video. That is expected to take about 4 GB. No mystery there. Yet you say it is not accurate and say it is the exact same thing. That makes no sense if it is the exact same thing since the data use is as expected.

0 Likes
pinky56

I had this same issue last month on 8/4 just 10 days into my month when I usually have barely used 1 GB or less.  Suddenly that day there was almost 4 GB used at one time.  Customer Service finally agreed to research it and said it was some type of update (maybe for the unit) called Limelight. If it's their product, shouldn't their updates be free to the customer?  I was so exasperated because I was already calling about another (billing) issue, that I gave up.  I had the exact thing happen last night.  When I sat down to do my usual activity online (email, FB, simple things) my usage was at .6 GB; an hour or so later it was 4.33!  I am planning to call support this week, armed with a neighbor who has been in IT her whole life to talk "the language" with them to explain to them that when she checked my laptop after the first event, nothing showed up.  I'm definitely shopping to change what I'm doing, because I end up with no usage of my wi-fi for over half the month, and have to resort to the library or community computer in my complex. FURIOUS!

0 Likes
rrrocker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Limelight is a content delivery network (CDN). One of their many clients is Microsoft, for the delivery of Windows Update content. Most likely what caused your 4GB spike on 8/4 was Windows Update downloading the entire Windows 10 update whether you asked for it or not. Same thing happened to me on 8/5.

That is doubly distressing that it happened a second time, though.