Re: Has Anyone had an Unexplained Jump in Data Usage with the JetPack?
mousemargo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Write to the BBB and to the Federal Consumer Protection Office. The more they hear from us the more we have a chance of getting this corrected. Verizon won't give the customer any satisfaction.  I had one day at .9GB and there is no way I could use that kind of data. I had 7.2GB and send one 25MB email and it jumped to 8.22. No updates going on. My PC tells me. i did not accept Microsoft 10 and still get the requests to accept but will not. I checked and it is not on my PC. They send notices to change your plan to AVOID overage charges so I did and was told it was backdated but they failed to get it in the system that way cause when the $198 bill (was to be $60) came I was told plan was changed on demand and not backdated even though 3 other reps told me it was backdated. I average 6 GB each month lately - use to be under 5GB. With the paln change they are charging me $105 in overage. Do you know how many gigs that is/ At $15 overage charge do the math. I don't stream or play games and don't think I could run up that kind of overage if I did. I only log on a couple times a day and never leave it on.

Weth
Legend

7 GB overage.

And yet everyone keeps saying it just can't be me, but no one actually does any research to confirm it is them or not. I can't be me is not effective to fight back to Verizon. You need data. And usually when you obtain that data, you find out it was actually your computer that used the data.

Did you check the directories noted above at a minimum?

0 Likes
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another familiar story that parallels my own. I wrote to the FCC and, as a result, did get a call from the Verizon Executive office saying they would call me again when they. Knew more. That was last week....

0 Likes
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

The analysis shows that 10% of my data usage is for gaming which I have not and do not do.

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

The data utilization tool does not help me. It is not nearly specific enough.   I do not understand whose privacy is being protected since I want to know who is consuming data on my account.

This HUGE jump in usage occurred on just one day, 8/2.  I did not encounter anything like this after having the JetPack for over a year.  I did not deviate from the sites I regularly visited. There were no other people or devices using the JetPack that day. I do not look at videos or stream music, and I use Flash Blocker to keep videos embedded in some sites from playing.  I turn off my computer and JetPack when not in use, and my JetPack is password protected with a very complicated password.

It was not a download of Windows 10.  I still get popups asking me to download Windows 10 but I close those popups whenever I see them.  I have looked at the record of downloads on my computer and there are no large downloads.  I also confirmed that Windows 10 is not on my computer. 

I was told I would be given an extra gig to use each month, but it did not show up on my Verizon acccount until 8/14, the day before the billing cycle ended.  I did not go over my monthly allotment because I did not access the internet with my JetPack from 8/3 through 8/15.

Now that I am using my JetPack again, the usage per day is back to a fraction of a gig per day.  I was on for a few hours yesterday and used less than 0.2 GB.  I try to not stay on too long before checking my usage (which I can no longer do directly off the JetPack) and I check the JetPack regularly to confirm that there are no unauthorized users.

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  I could not find the file. 

0 Likes
Callmeterry
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had an almost 3 GB usage last night and based on the times I received the alerts, times when we were asleep.  According to the update log, there was one update for an IE security update, couldn't tell how much it used, but really really don't think it was 3 GB.  My data usage for last night isn't showing up online, other than the device used.  We have not gone over 10 GB per month (usually using around 😎 in at least a year!

My cynical side is telling me that this overage occurred because this month I tweaked my account to save some dollars.

Is that true for anyone else?  Or has anyone come up with some kind of reason that makes sense?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I do not understand whose privacy is being protected since I want to know who is consuming data on my account.

I don't think we have ever received a good explanation for that statement, and we hear this line all the time.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I received the alerts, times when we were asleep

Keep in mind that all data usage reports are delayed to some degree.  The fact that you received the alert at night is not a direct reflection of when the data usage actually occurred, only when it was detected by Verizon.  The data usage may have very well happened while you were awake earlier in the evening. 

> We have not gone over 10 GB per month (usually using around 😎 in at least a year!

As we continue to state in all data usage threads, your data usage history is not helpful in figuring out what happened in a new usage situation.  Things change all the time, with or without your knowledge and in most properly solved cases it is data usage that occurs without the knowledge of the users.

> Is that true for anyone else?

Anything that you do with your VZW account is not a reflection of your actual data usage.  Apples and Oranges.

> Or has anyone come up with some kind of reason that makes sense?

The only way to actually solve a data usage problem is to setup and maintain data usage monitors on your personal devices.  There are many ways to accomplish this task and they all require research and configuration for each environment depending on what is going on.  Some monitors only work for Windows, some only for Mac, some only for mobile devices, some only for home routers, etc.

There is no one simple explanation for data usage, every instance is different and unique.  There may be trends that occur overtime like when Microsoft released Win10 for everyone (multiple GB downloads triggering complaints on VZW forums).  But those are much less common and difficult to identify than what is actually happening for someone. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

John Getzke, data usage from a phone opens new opportunities to the individual user, on the go. When reviewing data usage, for the customer's privacy as well as the individual using the phone, we do not have listings of every website visited or used. We track only the data amounts themselves. You can indeed see more detailed breakdowns on your My Verizon account through the Data Utilization tool. Simply click the View Bill, scroll down and select the Data tab, choose the phone line you wish to review and then the Data Utilization. This provides a breakdown of the percentage of data used on News, Games, Apps, etc. This will certainly help in trying to narrow down what the data is being used for.
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes