Re: Has Anyone had an Unexplained Jump in Data Usage with the JetPack?
Weth
Legend

My understanding was it would be after reserving a copy. Your experience seems to indicate otherwise.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JerZJack -  We are still here to get to the bottom of the issue you are having! I have just sent you and email on our support page. Please reply at your earliest convenience?

JacobV_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Panman54
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted in the wrong section, no help so figured it out. For the last 3+ months my bill has more than doubled, really. I started at an average of $80 a month with one movie purchased. It has risen to $195 this month with no movie and the usual usage. Just knowing they stole a few hundred bucks from me with no response makes my decision to stop the service and switch provider a no brainer. My IT guy at work is primed to start an online attack at Verizon, they are too big to hurt bad but he said we can make a dent to ease my payback mode! I don't need to get pay per view and can use my IPad at home till I find an honest provider!

JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not know what I can tell you other than what I have already stated in earlier posts.  I have not used my Jetpack since 8/2 because I am not going to incur overage charges.  This has forced me to use public wi-fi for the last two weeks of the billing cycle.  I do not know if you can pull the transcripts of the two chats I had with Verizon agennts, but the first one said he was going to send me a transcript,but I did not receie it.  I followed the instructions for emailing the transcript of the second chat to myself, but did not receive that transcript, either.

I also did not receive the extra gig I was promised retroactive to 7/16 although both agents told me I was receiving it.

I had my Jetpack replaced once because it did not record usage, only to be informed that there was a software problem with Jetpacks that could not be fixed.  I have explored possible problems on my end, and I would appreciate a sincere effort from Verizon to look into a problem on its end.  Just the suggestion that the problem may not be on my end got me flamed by one of your top posters.  I have not experienced that in many years.  There should be community standards here so that customers that are suppoesed to be here to help do not alienate Verizon from its other customers.

Also, someone who claimed to be a Verizon representative contacted me because of my post.  I did not respond because the person wanted my password. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I'm sorry if you felt flamed, that was not my intention. I am only looking for other possible logical explanations. The 4 GB overage with any type of Windows computer involved in early August still remains highly suspect for the automatic Windows 10 download, even if you had automatic updates turned off. We have had several confirmed cases already. Each of them was an initially unexplained 4 GB of data in early August. If you go back and look, some of my posts were answer other questions which you assumed I was answering you. Again sorry for the misunderstanding. If the usage continues, I hope you consider the data measurement tools so you can really get to the bottom of it.

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't see where any of the tools would help me determine what happened August 2.  I have not used my Jetpack since then.  I did check all of my downloads and there was nothing large.  I see no evidence that Windows 10 loaded.  I did get a message asking me if I wanted to download it and I declined.  I also just verified that I still have Windows 8.

I tried Glasswire, but it looks like it can only help with this point forward.

0 Likes
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

It would seem that if Windows 10 suddenly opened on their PC or laptop, a person would notice...

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I don't want to get into another argument, but the files download in the background and do not install right away. They even go into a hidden file waiting to be fully complete and then ask if you want to update. It is just a thought and has happened to several with no other visible signs.

The folders to look at are:

C:\$Windows.~BT

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\8f36b36c5f97d84a69eedf4ec27435ec folder, and check if there is a file with the name formatted as BITXXXX.tmp XXX as random characters or numbers. The file may be several GBs in size, which provides evidence that download of Windows 10 is still in progress and not yet completed.

So yes, you can get 4 GB of Windows 10 download, not be notified, and not see any obvious changes in your computer as Windows 10 was not installed yet. Again, just something to check, nothing more.

0 Likes
jacobv_vzw
Verizon Employee

We understand data overages can be frustrating. Specially if you are not personally using it. We sent you a message asking for your account # so we can investigate further. We also found that Microsoft was providing Windows 10 that was a 3-5GB download. If the download failed at midpoint it would try again. In order to assist further can you provide either your account number or fell free to reach us at 1-800-922-0204.

0 Likes
mousemargo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm right there with you.  On one day it hit me with .9GB in one log in. I don't stay logged in, don't video. stream. or any of that. I too know when my laptop and PC update. This was not the case as they tried to tell me. Even then, I have never had a .9GB update ever!  It seems like this last year was always adding for no reason at all.

0 Likes