Re: Has Anyone had an Unexplained Jump in Data Usage with the JetPack?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you to go over your data JerZJack. I appreciate all you have done so far. We are unable to see what is using your data due to privacy laws but you can find out in general what is using your data by using our http://vz.to/1EqtT14 Data Utilization tool.  When did this start? How many devices do you have connected to your Jetpack?

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jebo101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I have, my Jetpack went over 6 GB Cost an extra $60.00 I am not happy about this. This is terrible. Thinking about cancelling and looking for another internet service. ,

Jebo101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, mine went over 6 GB over the 5 allowed, an extra $60.00 and I am not happy about this. I did not do anything different the last two months, use to never go over 5 GB, now it is constantly going over the allowed 5. I am pissed, and looking for another internet service, but I live in country and they are hard to find. Net Zero want $49.95 for 4 GB, and Hughes is just too expensive, need a satellite dish on roof, I hate those. Fustrated in TN.

0 Likes
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe this is what Verizon is doing... Trying to get out of the internet provider service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jebo101, we want to prevent you from having future negative billing experiences. Which make/model phone do you have? Are you streaming music, videos, social media, or movies on your device? Click the link below for a better understanding on how data usage is calculated:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/datacalculatorPopup.jsp

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rrrocker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. Something downloaded ~4GB early in the morning of 8/5, which really chapped my hide since this is the day my billing cycle resets. 4GB of my quota blown away before I even wake up the first day of the cycle. Awesome. BTW, my internal router also logged this usage, so I know it's legitimate.

Incidentally, the "Get Windows 10" icon appeared in the systray of my Win7 laptop right around then. I have a feeling MS pushed Win10 to me even though I have not requested it nor have any interest in it at this point. I'm going to try to locate the files when I get home...

0 Likes
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

They tried to push it to me unsolicited too; fortunately, it failed.

0 Likes
rrrocker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm...

Admins rail against 'unwanted and unexpected' Windows 10 downloads - TechRepublic

FTA: "For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they'll need if they decide to upgrade. When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device," a Microsoft spokesman said.

Silly me for not realizing "automatic updates" includes "whole new operating systems", eh?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Windows 10 downloaded if you indicated you wanted the free Upgrade when it was available. That was your "agreement". When Windows was released, Microsoft pushed out Windows 10 to those that signed up, even if you had automatic updates off. It is right around 4 GB and we have had a rash of several people on here indicate they went over about 4 GB than their usual.

For everyone with Windows computers, there is also a setting you can add to your wifi connection to the jetpack or Verizon internet router on the Windows computer. You indicate the connection is a metered connection and it will limit any automatic usage on that connection.

See: Metered Internet connections: Frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows Help

If you have a metered connection I strongly advise you never, ever just leave the jetpack and computers on and connected. Only turn on both when you need access and then turn it off. Many that are going over are just keeping everything running and connected 24/7 which is fine if you have a large amount of data or an unlimited connection, but you are asking for trouble if you have limited data.

0 Likes
rrrocker
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not indicate that I wanted the free upgrade, though. The "Get Windows 10" applet indicates that a ~3GB background download will occur *after* I reserve my copy of Win10. Or is that an additional piece?

Good info in that FAQ, thanks for that. (unfortunately doesn't appear to apply to Win7)

I have a safeguard in place to shut down the WAN if anything goes completely berzerk with data consumption. I have 20GB and typically use 10-12 so the 4GB lost is closer to a nuisance than a show stopper. Had I more than one Windows system, it might have been a show stopper.

0 Likes