Re: Has Anyone had an Unexplained Jump in Data Usage with the JetPack?
AZconfused
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the exact same thing happen. 3.27 GB downloaded at 10:42 PM  on 8/2/15 while I was asleep. All downloads turned off. I had a few exchanges with with a rep on this forum on 8/3 but nothing since. It should be easy for Verizon to find out the IP address that this huge download came from.

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand how you feel.  I kept getting the same responses that seemed canned as well.  No help in getting to the real root causes. I posted because I think there is a glitch with the Jetpack or with Verizon's software.  One agent I worked with so no activity from his end on the day I supposedly used almost 4 GB, but he saw the same cumulative usage I saw for the month.  I have used as little as 4.5 GB in an entire month visiting the same sites I currently visit..  I have had the Jetpack for a year, so I know how to monitor and control my usage Something is wrong, and I do not think it is on my end.  Someone who is at a higher level than Verizon's customer service agents needs to get involved.  This appears to be a technical issue. 

Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told that, due to privacy rules, Verizon can't tell us that detail. It has to be kept secret... Even from us!

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought Verizon could help me get to the cause of my big jump in usage too, coincidentally on 8/2 as well.  If there is something could have highjacked my computer for a large download, show me how to look for it.  I did check on downloads though, and there were just a couple of pictures at a couple of KB apiece.

I still don't understand how Facebook could have increased the usage with my laptop.  I was told it works like an app.  All I do on Facebook is read a few posts each day.  I have never posted on Facebook.

The first agent thought I should change my password, but the one I have is complicated and there are only four neighbors in range of where I use my Jetpack.  They all have their own internet service and don't need mine.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Facebook uses a lot of data, it downloads videos on the page.  It is a common source of high data use. 

Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can tell you from experience, it is not Facebook or a password violation. It is either a software problem with the Jetpack (as I was told by a VZN rep) or a revenue-enhancement ploy Verizon uses to milk their customers when they need or want to inflate their accounts receivable. I recommend filing a complaint with your state attorney general and the FCC. Neither one is difficult and can be done online. That way you are part of a crowd instead of just one person and an investigation can be launched.

0 Likes
blairsis

I had the exact thing happen on 8/2 at 7:30am. Verizon told me someone was using gaming or watching videos. It  used 3 gb. I was on my way out the door to play golf at that time and the only one home This jet pak never goes over on 1gb in a month.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Facebook's Auto-Playing Videos Are Blamed For High Data Usage Charges

Videos consume substantial amounts of mobile data. This is problematic for people that have limited data plans and spend a lot of time scrolling through the Facebook News Feed. Facebook enabled videos to automatically play by default, which has caused many people to incur high data usage charges.

there is not one cause.  The conspiracy theory is just that.  

0 Likes
blairsis

how do you file with FCC? AT and T just got hit with a big fine for slowing Data down. Maybe Verizon is trying something similiar. I have been getting the run around as well and nothing is getting resolved.

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

What videos?  I have never seen any on the Facebook pages I visit, and I have Flash Blocker, which I found cuts down on unwanted data usage.  Plus, nothing like this had happened before after a year of visiting Facebook every day.

0 Likes