Re: Has Anyone had an Unexplained Jump in Data Usage with the JetPack?
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, apparently if I reply to a message through the email received from this forum it is posted in the forum. I am also able to post messages here now directly.  I had already signed in before, so I don't know why I had to do it again.

I still have not received a satisfactory answer as to the sudden huge jump in data usage in one day.  I did not not download Windows 10 or do anything except visit sites I normally visit.  I chatted with 2 agents, but the transcripts were not sent to my email address either time.  I was also told an extra GB would be retroactively added to my account, but I see no evidence of that. Since my JetPack can no longer provide usage readings and Verizon could not fix this problem, why should I trust that there is not a malfunction regarding usage measurements?  I have used public wi-fi since I am almost maxed out on my account, and I cannot trust that this will not happen again.

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think that happened in my case.  Things don't update unless I give permission, and nothing like this had happened in the course of a year.

0 Likes
JerZJack
Enthusiast - Level 3

The data utilization tool  has been worthless for me, and I don't think it comes close to my actual usage.  I never used my computer for gaming, but the tool thinks I have.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Montanaann - Overages are costly! We can help you monitor the usage and avoid those charges that take a strain on your budget. When you are not using the Jetpack are you powering it Off? Do you use Facebook? When you are connecting to the Jetpack what do you do online? We have great tools to keep your eye on the  data use! Check it out. http://bit.ly/1KQQExi

JacobV_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Windows 10 update is special. If you got asked if you want to update and you said yes, that was your permission to download in the background.

0 Likes
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did not download Windows 10.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

That is fine, but just confirming you know that it is not an active process. You could have been asked if you wanted to reserve your free Windows 10 weeks ago, and upon the release Microsoft was pushing these to those computers automatically with no further input, and in the background. There was also reports that Microsoft was then using a mesh network type of process to download the Windows 10 files to other using your bandwidth. Like I said, it may not be something you actively did. Read up on it. Of course if you do not have a Windows 7 or 8.1 machine, this does not apply

0 Likes
Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

This does not apply

0 Likes
snico00
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here.  All of a sudden there has been a huge jump in data usage by the jetpack and the amount of people on this forum who suddenly have data usage problems is proving that something is definitely wrong and Verizon has not addressed this issue.  My jetpack used in one day almost what I use in a month.  I've been on the phone with support everyday for several days and I get the same run around.  They say it's something I'm doing when in fact I haven't changed my routine of internet use. 

Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are absolutely right; they have an issue and they know it. Consider the huge bump in revenue this is giving them!

0 Likes