Can I get a Static or Public IP Address?
drued77

I need to have a nat type 1 or 2 on ps4 to not have problems. I have an 890l mobile hotspot which is only providing a nat3(strict). I read that its because on verizons mobile network im not able to configure a static or public ip adress from my end to resolve the nat problem. How can i get a public or static(whichever is needed for nat 1 or 2) ip adress from verizon to resolve the problem? Is there another option? This cant be resolved by assigning a static ip for the ps4 or putting it in dmz on my end. Its a problem with the way ip adresses are assigned by default on mobile networks so the change would need to happen on the side of the isp to allow a public or static ip.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Static or Public IP Adress
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> How can i get a public or static(whichever is needed for nat 1 or 2) ip adress from verizon to resolve the problem? Is there another option?

You can purchase a static IP from Verizon but that may be overkill for what you are trying to achieve.  Another to work around Verizons carrier grade NAT configuration would be to setup a connection to a VPN server.  Unfortunetly the 890L mobile hotspot does not have an option to host a VPN client on it directly.  I don't think PS4 has a VPN client feature either, but if it does that would save you some trouble.  If not then you would need to configure a 2nd home router that can connect to a VPN server and then connect the PS4 to it.

This kind of a setup would look like this:

VZW ))) 890L )))) 2nd Home Router + VPN Client ==== PS4

In this scenario the 890L acts as a traditional model to the 2nd home router.  VPN client software can often be installed via 3rd party firmware updates.  You can also buy some home routers with this functionality but it tends to be spendy.  This technique is definitely more time and technically demanding but it would end up being cheaper in regards to hardware.

Or you can just not host games on your PS4 and bring it to a public hotspot without a NAT configuration for special occasions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can purchase a public IP address for $500, but I am not sure the steps for where at Verizon you can actually do so.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> How can i get a public or static(whichever is needed for nat 1 or 2) ip adress from verizon to resolve the problem? Is there another option?

You can purchase a static IP from Verizon but that may be overkill for what you are trying to achieve.  Another to work around Verizons carrier grade NAT configuration would be to setup a connection to a VPN server.  Unfortunetly the 890L mobile hotspot does not have an option to host a VPN client on it directly.  I don't think PS4 has a VPN client feature either, but if it does that would save you some trouble.  If not then you would need to configure a 2nd home router that can connect to a VPN server and then connect the PS4 to it.

This kind of a setup would look like this:

VZW ))) 890L )))) 2nd Home Router + VPN Client ==== PS4

In this scenario the 890L acts as a traditional model to the 2nd home router.  VPN client software can often be installed via 3rd party firmware updates.  You can also buy some home routers with this functionality but it tends to be spendy.  This technique is definitely more time and technically demanding but it would end up being cheaper in regards to hardware.

Or you can just not host games on your PS4 and bring it to a public hotspot without a NAT configuration for special occasions.

0 Likes