Can I connect my wireless router to a Jetpack?
JEN2DOOR

We are contemplating purchasing a Verizon Jetpack so we can get faster internet service through Verizon.  We live in the country and our current wireless ISP has told us it does not plan to upgrade their equipment.  Speeds are very slow and streaming is becoming increasingly more difficult to do without constant buffering.  Our current download speeds range anywhere from less than 1Mbps to a little more than 2Mbps. When I switch to using the hotspot on my Verizon Galaxy S6 phone, we have lightning fast speed - most of the time around 18.78Mbps!!!  The problem is that we have older flat screen TVs that we have hardwired to our Linksys Smart WiFi router as they are not WiFi compatible.  I have looked at the connectivity settings and for types of internet connections.  Our router is currently on "Automatic Configuration - DHCP."  It also has the following options: Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, and Bridge Mode.  From reading, it is my understanding that that there is no ethernet connection on Jetpacks that we could connect our router to so we can still use our non-WiFi TVs through the ethernet cables that we have connected to the router. We currently have our internet connection from our wireless ISP coming into the router via hard wire from the outside wireless antenna.  I have also read some about getting a WiFi Bridge.  Is that what this option will do on our Linksys router? Would we be able to switch to that type of connectivity in our Linksys setting and then connect our router to the Jetpack? Or would we have to purchase two newer TVs with WiFi capability or a different router?  Additionally I have read that the Jetpacks may not transmit their WiFi signal further than 30-40 feet.  Using our Linksys router would take care of the lack of WiFi signal strength as our house is fairly large and I am not sure that the signal would transmit to all rooms.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I connect my wireless router to a Jetpack?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your router have a USB port? For better reliability, you should consider purchasing an USB modem instead a Jetpack.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your router have a USB port? For better reliability, you should consider purchasing an USB modem instead a Jetpack.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

JEN2DOOR

Thanks for the info.  Yes, our router has a USB port so I will start researching that option.  Appreciate the help!

0 Likes
ra4us
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can you please clarify if what is meant by the "USB modem" is a device that sends/receives to the tower and has a usb connection for connecting to a router?  If so then is there a link to the product i can use?  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to see you enjoy the right device for your needs! The USB Modem is designed to be plugged directl into a computer to act as a wireless modem. Here is a link to the pproduct: https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon-global-modem-usb730l/?sku=sku2540056 YaleK_VZW

0 Likes