AC791L WiFi adapter for desktop
Votawn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there any type of WiFi adapter or router that I can insert/attach into my HP Envy desktop that my AC791L will communictae with? I had

to reformat and reinstall Windows 8.1 and now I have no wifi on the system. I am tethered right now and it is choking my system down to a

crawl when it isn't freezing it. Jet Pack works fine on my granddaughter's laptop running Windows 10.

0 Likes
Re: AC791L WiFi adapter for desktop
deloused
Master - Level 3

There are several wifi adapters available for desktops. Here are some examples-

The 10 Best Wi-Fi USB Adapters to Buy in 2018

0 Likes
Votawn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Deloused for your help. I saw some Netgear adapters on Best Buy but wasn't sure if any would recognize my Jet Pack. Verizon is pretty picky with what works with these Jet Packs There is one Best Buy has, the Model: A6210, that has very similar specs as the Jet Pack. Both have the AC1200 WiFi Technology ( whatever that means??)

I guess I will just have do trial and error. Again, thank you for your help and time, You gave me hope that an adapter will work. 🙂

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to find the right WiFi adapter, Votawn. I was able to search online and this is what I found for the Verizon Jetpack: 

https://antennagear.net/verizon-netgear-ac791l-hotspot/

Please let us know if this helps! 

VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
Votawn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your response VanessaS. My Jet Pack is working fine, My granddaughter laptop with Windows 10 identifies it right away. My issue is with my HP desktop and I think the WiFi on it has gone bad after it crashed and I had to reformat and re-install plus upgrade to Windows 8.1. I want to install a compatible WiFi adapter but don't know which ones will work with the AC791L Jet Pack. Best Buy has a Netgear model adapter AC6210 that uses the same technology as the Jet Pack which is AC1200. Here is the link to it:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1200-wireless-ac-high-gain-wi-fi-usb-3-0-adapter-black/886000...

These are the specs for my Jet Pack:

Jet Pack specs:

AC791L

Network Speed

4G LTE Advanced Cat 6 + 2X Carrier Aggregation

4G LTE

3G

WiFi Technology - AC1200

Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

That adapter should work with the Jetpack.  All that matters when it comes to WiFi compatibility is if you are using the correct frequency or not.  In WiFi there are only two frequencies to be concerned about 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz.  The adapter you selected supports them both.

Wireless AC is backwards compatible with Wireless BGN.  Just make sure your adapter is listening to the correct signal from the Jetpack and it should allow you to connect with no problems.  Most Jetpacks broadcast on 2.4 GHz by default.  Some broadcast both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz as a stacked network name so they appear to be one network.

Its a relatively safe bet that USB WiFi adapter will work with the Jetpack.

Votawn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much John, you said the words I wanted to hear. I will order that one and try to get away from this tethering since it slows my system down to almost dial up. Of course if it doesn't work I won't blame you. Again, thank you and all the others for your help. Frank

0 Likes
jweiskotten

I also had this issue after re-installing on my HPEnvy, go to the HP website on customer support and download the driver for your WIFI adapter and install it.  I will put money it will take off again!

The link to start with auto detection for your computer is below.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

0 Likes