Re: 5G MIFI M1000 Port forwarding
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes, port forwarding isn't used when you're connecting to an App remotely through the internet 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I reached out to Verizon Corporate Communications and confirmed that 5G will have the same or similar NAT Firewall restrictions as the 4G LTE network.  Users will need to use the same work arounds with 5G as before. FYI  @Ann154 

I didn't have any issues accessing the Arlo system through the Arlo app. Is there something different in the method that the app uses to access the camera system that gets around the firewall?

Maybe.  NAT is only a problem for internet traffic.  Local connections between devices do not touch the VZW NAT.  It depends on how your specific camera was setup and how the app was configured at the time.

Many camera manufacturers are working around these limitations by implementing cloud services.  With a cloud architecture the cameras reach out to a centralized cloud system on the internet.  NAT does not stop devices from reaching out to the internet, only random devices from reaching in.  Once a pathway is created from a device reaching out of the NAT then communication can flow.

That means if your purchase a camera that consistently reaches out to a cloud service you should be fine. But if you purchase a camera that depends on port forwarding then you need to use the previously mentioned work arounds.

Fireme911

I have a static up address already - how do you implement thisIn order to get the internet connection?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your interest in connecting your static IP address to your 5G Mi-Fi to work with connecting to the internet, Fireme911. Let me get some more details about your inquiry. Please bear in mind, Mi-Fi devicea were designed as a temporary internet access device. Do you have access to High Speed Internet? Here's a link for more details on the 5G Mi-Fi M1000 device https://www.verizon.com/support/5g-mifi-m1000-faqs/ . Does this help? 

EdwinL@VZWsupport

0 Likes