Turned off data and roaming, still charged for texts on trip overseas
flashtobang

I turned off cellular data and denied roaming access for a recent trip to Grand Cayman. When I was in my hotel room, I used my phone on wireless to send text messages. The network symbol had an X. When I got home, I was charged $91.55 in "Text Global Roaming." How is this possible if data and roaming were turned off? How do I reverse these charges?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Turned off data and roaming, still charged for texts on trip overseas
ChiefPopeye
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sorry that you have experienced this surprise overage. there is not a way that I know of to reverse the charges. however in the future there is a way for you to send and receive texts from your Verizon phone over the WiFi network only so you can disable your cellular connection all together and not receive roaming charges. Verizon offers a my Verizon messenger service that you can access from your Verizon Wireless account online and also from an app that you can download on your phone. the app will use WiFi data instead of a cellular network connection when you turn off the cellular connection from your phone. I hope this helps in the future. Also if your phone supports Advanced calling 1.0 you can make voice calls from the messenger app over WiFi as well. just make sure to set it up so your cellular connection is OFF but WiFi is ON.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

You cant.

Texts are not sent over the data network, they use the phone network.

Lesson learned for you.

Best wishes

Snn5
Legend

You can turn off mms roaming and data roaming, but IDK of a way to disable roaming for calls/texts since they use the cellular voice network and not data.  Well, there is always airplane mode and turning on wifi for which you can use another app like Hangouts with a Google Voice number to call and send texts.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The best way to avoid roaming charges is to not take your United States based phone outside of the USA. Phone stays in US phone has no change of roaming.

0 Likes
Lkhill55

Or you can just buy a $25-40 international roaming plan on the Verizon website.

0 Likes
ChiefPopeye
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sorry that you have experienced this surprise overage. there is not a way that I know of to reverse the charges. however in the future there is a way for you to send and receive texts from your Verizon phone over the WiFi network only so you can disable your cellular connection all together and not receive roaming charges. Verizon offers a my Verizon messenger service that you can access from your Verizon Wireless account online and also from an app that you can download on your phone. the app will use WiFi data instead of a cellular network connection when you turn off the cellular connection from your phone. I hope this helps in the future. Also if your phone supports Advanced calling 1.0 you can make voice calls from the messenger app over WiFi as well. just make sure to set it up so your cellular connection is OFF but WiFi is ON.

0 Likes
ChiefPopeye
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you felt that the charges were "Erroneous" you could contact Customer Care at 18009220204 and beg them to forgive you. no promises they will be able to help but it never hurts to ask'

0 Likes