Can I Use Travelpass And Google Voice While I Travel?
dencar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in Paris right now and am on the $10/day travel pass. I was surprised but my Google Voice number works perfectly for both incoming and outgoing calls just as if I was in the USA. Does that mean for international calls using Google Voice in France will be at the Google Voice rates?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Travelpass and Google Voice
Weth
Legend

Your Google Voice number would use the cellular data you are connected to using the $10/day TravelPass (or wifi if you are on wifi). It will use the Google Voice rates if you are calling on Google Voice.

If you turn don't use TravelPass, you will get large roaming data charges trying to use Google Voice since it is using the cellular data provided by a French cellular company. The only way around this would to only use Google Voice when on wifi. But you can do the same thing with wifi calling.

Remember with the $10 per day TravelPass includes calls to and from the US and to and from anywhere in the country you are currently located (France).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Your Google Voice number would use the cellular data you are connected to using the $10/day TravelPass (or wifi if you are on wifi). It will use the Google Voice rates if you are calling on Google Voice.

If you turn don't use TravelPass, you will get large roaming data charges trying to use Google Voice since it is using the cellular data provided by a French cellular company. The only way around this would to only use Google Voice when on wifi. But you can do the same thing with wifi calling.

Remember with the $10 per day TravelPass includes calls to and from the US and to and from anywhere in the country you are currently located (France).

0 Likes
dencar
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is AWESOME.

By the way, I wasn't intending to NOT use travel pass, I get it's benefits. But with Travelpass *AND* Google Voice, you can call anywhere in the world with the Google Voice rates. Whilst travel pass calling minutes are great for calling the USA or country to country, combined with Google Voice, you can call country to another country at Google Voice's great low rates.

So, using Travelpass on it's own, I'm in France right now, calling the UK would cost me $1.49/minute. If I use Google voice, it's 0.03c Smiley Happy If I call Australia using Google Voice it's about 0.07c Smiley Happy

The other advantage is that with Google Voice, they see my Google Voice number calling them, as opposed the Verizon number (which I don't use in the USA as I use my Googe Voice number all the time).

This is great news.