Visual Voicemail stopped working after Marshmallow (Android 6) update on HTC One M8
Borg561

A couple weeks ago I updated my HTC One M8 to Android 6 Marshmallow.  This afternoon I received a voicemail, and when I opened the Visual Voicemail app, it sat there for a while with a white screen, then popped a message saying "Messages isn't responding. Do you want to close it?"  If I tell it to wait, it just sits there forever and nothing happens.  If I locate the VVM app in the Google Play Store (Verizon Visual Voice Mail - Android Apps on Google Play) on my computer, it says it is not compatible with my device (it worked just fine before the Marshmallow update).  Will this ever be compatible?  I currently pay the $2.99/month for Basic VVM, and am currently considering ditching it.  I much prefer VVM, and am happy to pay for it, but if it is not going to work with my phone, what is the point?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Visual Voicemail stopped working after Marshmallow (Android 6) update on HTC One M8
kkavanagh16
Enthusiast - Level 2

Prior to the update everything worked fine, and actually "after" the update it worked fine as well. On my phone I have the 'Messages' app (shows you text and voicemail messages), I see the Verizon Messages+ app (text only?) which I have never used (both came with the phone), and Chomp which I downloaded from Google play. Prior to the update I could use Messages and Chomp interchangeably (everything showed up in both programs), but 'after' the update the phone would ask me to choose one of them as the default app and wouldn't let me use the non-default app unless I switched it back. Visual VM was still working up until 4/18. It worked normally in the AM, but then for the rest of the day if I clicked on the icon it it would either sit there doing nothing or I would get the error message I posted above.  The following morning VM was working properly again, but then since that afternoon it's just spitting out that error message again. I can retrieve VM from the all messages tab, but if I try to slide it over to VM, it just jams up the phone and gives an error message. I have uninstalled the Chomp text message app and restarted the phone several times, but it hasn't changed anything - not on WiFi or on 4G LTE.  Going to make sure I have everything I need off the phone and will do a factory reset at some point if I need to. I have also noticed what Borg561 saw in Google Play. It says that the app is not compatible with my phone??   (Verizon Visual Voice Mail - Android Apps on Google Play)

VM prob.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Visual Voicemail stopped working after Marshmallow (Android 6) update on HTC One M8
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure everything is functioning properly and definitely understand your concern here. Were there any other changes made to the device aside from the software update before this started occurring?
KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Borg561

There were no other changes besides the update to Android 6 Marshmallow.  As mentioned, the Google Play store does show that it is incompatible with my device, so I guess expected behavior, even though it worked before the update.  Looks like the version currently installed on my phone is 3.5.669440.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can't live without my visual voicemail Borg561. Let's make sure you don't have to. The next step will be to check provisioning on your account. I have sent you a Private Message so we can begin.
RosanneM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kkavanagh16
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've got the same issue. Marshmallow update was a few weeks ago and everything was fine. This afternoon suddenly my ringer is turned to silent, had to go back in an find whichever ringtone it is that I usually use and reset it, and whenever I choose VM I immediately get this error message. I have restarted my phone several times, and it happens both while on wifi and Verizon 4G.  HELP.

VVM nogo.png

0 Likes
SixSaints

I have the same problem. HTC One M9 running marshmallow. It was working fine the just stopped. I can see the Visual Voicemail service is running but the icon is completely gone. I've unsubscribed and resubscribed to visual voicemail but it didn't help. Reinstalling the app would probably fix it but the version the app store is different from the built in version and doesn't work. I'm about to wipe the device and start over. If it doesn't work I'll cancel the service. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kkavanagh16 We certainly want you to have a working phone you can depend on. Can you tell me if the phone worked fine before the update? What text app are you using? Have you added any new apps?

DeloresK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kkavanagh16
Enthusiast - Level 2

Prior to the update everything worked fine, and actually "after" the update it worked fine as well. On my phone I have the 'Messages' app (shows you text and voicemail messages), I see the Verizon Messages+ app (text only?) which I have never used (both came with the phone), and Chomp which I downloaded from Google play. Prior to the update I could use Messages and Chomp interchangeably (everything showed up in both programs), but 'after' the update the phone would ask me to choose one of them as the default app and wouldn't let me use the non-default app unless I switched it back. Visual VM was still working up until 4/18. It worked normally in the AM, but then for the rest of the day if I clicked on the icon it it would either sit there doing nothing or I would get the error message I posted above.  The following morning VM was working properly again, but then since that afternoon it's just spitting out that error message again. I can retrieve VM from the all messages tab, but if I try to slide it over to VM, it just jams up the phone and gives an error message. I have uninstalled the Chomp text message app and restarted the phone several times, but it hasn't changed anything - not on WiFi or on 4G LTE.  Going to make sure I have everything I need off the phone and will do a factory reset at some point if I need to. I have also noticed what Borg561 saw in Google Play. It says that the app is not compatible with my phone??   (Verizon Visual Voice Mail - Android Apps on Google Play)

VM prob.jpg

0 Likes
kkavanagh16
Enthusiast - Level 2

VM-2.jpg

VM3-2.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kkavanagh16, we want that device to work as it use to for you. You mentioned that you have a few applications downloaded to it. We reccommend that you uninstall any unwanted applications and then update the software ofr the remaining applications. Keep us posted and let us know if this improves the performance of your phone.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes