Re: Thunderbolt - will not download Comcast POP3 email on 4G LTE but will on 3G
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a peer to peer forum where users/customers answer the questions of other customers. While there are some VZW employees that occasionally answer questions, they only do so after giving the regular customers a chance to answer the question.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AscoliP

Yes I have the same problem in few past days in Maryland. Called VZW Support. They are not aware of 4G issue. They got a ticket to address the problem. They recommend to download Xfinity Connect Apps from Google Play. It will work on 4G. Yes, It works on my ThunderBolt with 4G.  Yes I tried on 3g it will work too.

0 Likes
AscoliP

Anyone???   - Still have the same problem with Comcast POP3 email is still not download on 4G LTE.  Are we discuss about ending with Comcast on POP3 email. They are forcing us to use Xfinity Connect Apps from now on? Are they still working on it but for how long?

0 Likes
dschroed

This is the exact problem I am having....

I'm here in Minneapolis, MN.  My Gmail is working perfect but Comcast stopped working a couple days ago.  All I get is a connection error.  On WiFi, it works fine.  In 4G/LTE mode....all I can do is verify the outgoing server.  The incoming server gives me an error.

If I switch my phone to 3G (CDMA only), everything works perfectly fine.  No errors, servers are verified, etc....  Switch it back to 4G, and I immediately get the error again and it stops working.

I'm using a Motorola Razr Maxx.  Any tips or ideas are welcome...this is frustrating!

Thanks!   

0 Likes
coachcisco

I live in Charleston, SC and started noticing this issue 5-6 days ago. When I'm at home, I try to use my wifi so I didn't notice it at first. In wifi I get no issues, but when I'm on the 4g network, I get the same problems all of you are having.

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received my new phone, HTC Rezound, and loaded all my accounts into the new phone.  All the mail accounts work again as normally in both 3G and 4G (knock on wood).  Even though I was never able to get the original problem here resolved, I did notice that at times when I was on 3G and actually getting the Comcast mail to download, that sometimes it indicated there was an extra message downloading that never showed up.  For example if there were 3 messages downloading, the number shown was 4 and three downloaded.  It happened a lot.  I am wondering if somehow this reporting error has something to do with it.

I am guessing that if there's a way to totally uninstall the Mail app and then reinstall it, that this could cure the problem.  This would probably entail re-input of all the accounts.

For Ann154, why do you make comments that are completely unhelpful like that?  For those with this phone issue, it wastes our time to read it.  If you think that it's not in the best interests of VW to peruse the forums regularly to see what's going on with their customers my guess would be you're wrong.  Like any other business they have to prioritize their hours of service to their customers, but that doesn't mean a simple acknowledgement of "hey I've seen this we'll get to it" isn't in order.  And FYI this issue is also discussed in another thread where a VW person said they would look into it and hasn't provided any input since.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I made that comment because many people expect to get an immediate response from a Verizon Wireless employee. This forum isn't set up that way. It is meant as a peer to peer forum for customers to help other customers. The unrealistic expectations would have just lead to disappointment.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see.  I responded to you because the more I read these forums the more I see useless comments from some members that are simply meant to deride the person who has a concern which is legitimate if to no one else at least to them.  That's unproductive.  If these folks understood what you just described they'd be helpful instead of critical.  I take your point though, as I'm sure most others do.

0 Likes
gs23lsv

I'm having the same problem.  My wife and I both have the Thunderbolt and the email hasn't been working for several days after having worked flawlessly for a year.  I travel all over the country and have occasionally received some email.  Thanks to your post, davemon, I tried switching to CDMA mode.  As soon as I did I got all of my emails and was able to confirm my settings.  I suspect the random emails I did receive over the last few days were a result of the phone switching out of 4G mode when it wasn't available.

For those with Comcast POP3 email, here is the link to the appropriate settings:

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Incidentally, I had a "live chat" online with an Xfinity tech about this issue.  I told him specifically what equipment I was using and exactly what the problem was.  He started by advising me to change the email settings, including turning off SSL security and changing the server ports in direct conflict with the information on the above linked Xfinity page.  That was the first red flag.  When none of that worked, he advised me to power cycle the phone.  When that didn't work, he wanted me to power cycle the cable modem, router and computer.  He seemed dumbfounded when I pointed out that a cell phone doesn't use any of that equipment...

I guess I will call Verizon and get a trouble ticket started.  Thanks for your help davemon!

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're welcome, although like you I never received a solution.

I can completely understand your entire conversation with the Comcast person.  It's hit or miss with their reps and I'm convinced some of them will tell you any ole' lie to get you off the phone or chat.  If the answer's not right there in their play-by-play script then forget it.  They'll just spout off any useless and inaccurate information I assume just to get you to smile instead of get angry.  I have had many experiences with Comcast wherein I've received either an inconsistent message, flat out wrong information, or what I assume had to be a lie.  They hire a lot of idiots, in other words.  Forget trying to get help from them on this issue, a very slim few of their reps would have the technical savvy to advise us on this one, even if they cared.

0 Likes