Re: Thunderbolt ICS Update
budone
Legend

The last update for my Dinc, nope just needed a wifi connection!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

But the Dinc didn't need a SIM card to connect to the Verizon Wireless network either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jabo1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

Contacted HTC regarding the update and received the following:

Thank you so much for contacting HTC customer support center in regards to software updates for your HTC Thunderbolt.

James, let me say that I really understand where you coming from with this. Your HTC Thunderbolt is upgradable to Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich; and let me assure you that we are excited about this update for our Android devices. We are currently reviewing its features and functionality to determine upgrade plans for our product portfolio. While our goal is to bring the latest software updates to as many of our recent devices as possible, we are committed to maintaining every phone's performance and usability first. Keep in mind that the release of this upgrade is under carrier discretion.

Your carrier will release it as soon as they complete the customizing process of the operative system for them to make sure that all phones are going to work with their network specifications and services.

HTC no longer announces dates for release of software due to the nature of the software development process. At any point in the software development cycle a situation may be encountered that requires anything from some minor additional rework. Only after the final acceptance testing has been successfully completed, your carrier will release the software. Please stay tuned for more updates regarding device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Android Versions at http://www.htc.com/us/.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Ann154 wrote:

But the Dinc didn't need a SIM card to connect to the Verizon Wireless network either.

the article suggests you use wife (due to the size of the file) so i would guess that you don't need to be activated. however, i really don't know. i'll have to look into this when it is pushed because the previous kernel didn't allow the phone to truly sleep. i can only assume that is one of the many issues they worked out. the leak ran fine, but just never slept, so it made a battery killing device that much worse. it's kind of a shame because, while i'm thrilled that those still using the bolt will at least have ICS, i'ts now only months away from being 2 versions of the OS behind.....again. i still thought this was an incredible phone though. i just never had the issues that so many others complained about (reboots, data drops, etc). it was a great device and on ICS it could be a great device for another year. over the holidays i saw best buy selling these again. it makes me wonder if that had anything to do with this? i know if i were a retailer, i'd push the manufacturer and carrier to keep my inventory relevant.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I tried to get the status and check for an update with my Tbolt last night. I had the airplane mode off and wifi on so the phone was "yelling" at about the missing SIM card. It gave me an error message saying it couldn't connect to the network. I will try to get screenshots tonight.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dspman

The postings on http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/31/verizon-finally-approves-ice-cream-sandwich-for-the-htc-thunder... or http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt_instructions.pdf have a description of how to get the update.  However, when I use the conventional route of asking the phone to check for update, I am told there isn't one available.  Is there any way to get "bumped up" the list to get the update ASAP, instead of waiting for the "push"?

0 Likes
CNARay
Enthusiast - Level 2

JUST missed the update. Now I'll never experience the joy of ICS as my replacement phone immediately updated itself to Jelly Bean. I wonder if this update would have fixed my connectivity problems -- I constantly lost my mobile data connection. That and battery life were my main issues for nearly two years. And now, instead of obsessively monitoring my battery life, I'll be obsessively monitoring my data usage -- losing unlimited data was a BIG minus. I can't say I'm too thrilled with my Verizon experience, although I do appreciate their otherwise reliable network. For those of you bravely continuing with your Thunderbolts, I salute you. May you merrily download endless Gigabytes of data for years to come!

0 Likes
XxAcidCrashxX

My wife's original Tbolt had connectivity issues, even after the few software updates it had. I had it replaced because she cracked the screen and this refurbished one does not have those same issues anymore. I don't think the conecctivity issues were purely software related. I think maybe it was a faulty piece of the hardware, weather it was maybe the antena or the LTE chip.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

dspman.....no. you have to wait until they push it. When they do though, I suspect everyone will get it the same day because there's likely not many left in service so they won't have to push a bunch of different batches over days or even a week.

0 Likes
TBoltOwner
Contributor - Level 1

I am so happy.  I hope this fixes my data connection issues.

0 Likes