Re: Supposed GB Thunderbolt VM Notification issue Fix
AZSALUKI
Legend

you have every right to complain....and i would call them (vzn and htc) out for this too. i'm not excusing them for this. as i have ALWAYS said about updates....let others be the testers. if GB was that important to a user, then he or she could choose to update, with the known flaw. however, for those that waited even for a matter of hours, they would have seen the glaring issue and could decide between GB with broken VM or no GB with working VM. that's the options, until they fix it. this problem was posted here and on many other forums in a matter of hours after the update began being pushed. 

again, i'm not excusing or giving them a pass. i think it's a big issue for them to overlook (and i don't believe that they just weren't aware of it. SOMEBODY on their team visits other sites and forums and knew about it). you have every right to complain. it just won't fix the problem.

the code/fix is out there so HOPEFULLY verizon and htc will get this resolved quickly, since the work has already been done for them.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3
I chose what I believe to be the lesser of two evils (unknown data drops, equaling no text , email or use of data) versus playing the odds that Verizon wouldn't be stupid enough to release an update with so blaring an error as the voicemail notification bug. Guess I gave them too much credit. They really do only care about how little they have to do and stay ahead of the lynch mob. If they stay their present strategy they're going to **bleep** off someone with enough clout, or access to that clout, to reign in the gravy train.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

you have every right to complain....and i would call them (vzn and htc) out for this too. i'm not excusing them for this. as i have ALWAYS said about updates....let others be the testers. if GB was that important to a user, then he or she could choose to update, with the known flaw. however, for those that waited even for a matter of hours, they would have seen the glaring issue and could decide between GB with broken VM or no GB with working VM. that's the options, until they fix it. this problem was posted here and on many other forums in a matter of hours after the update began being pushed. 

again, i'm not excusing or giving them a pass. i think it's a big issue for them to overlook (and i don't believe that they just weren't aware of it. SOMEBODY on their team visits other sites and forums and knew about it). you have every right to complain. it just won't fix the problem.

the code/fix is out there so HOPEFULLY verizon and htc will get this resolved quickly, since the work has already been done for them.

Im not saying I disagree but like I said the fix that was released on a modified device and the code change can cause diffrent effect on the stock rom, this is why if you are using one rom that has a feature you want you cant always just copy a app from working rom and place it on another and it will function, under some situation a fix isnt as simple as that sometimes....  If it was users wouldnt loose functions when a developer upgrades t to another build.

Just pointing out something that may not been concidered..   Its just when you are dealing with software and programming codes its may seem easy but its not, this is why the best programmers gets paid the big bucks.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i know it's for a different rom, but he claims to have fixed it in 30 minutes, and i believe him. do you really think this bug has htc's entire team of developers stumped? they may not be able to just copy his code, but they could, at the very least test it on the stock rom. they could also see what he did to fix it on the custom rom as a starting point. i know it's more difficult than all of us think, but it can be done, and i believe that if they've got the best programmers making the big bucks, it should have already been done.

also, there is a specific fix for one particular rom....a specific fix for another particular rom.....and then a patch that has been put our there for other roms. it was fixed immediately for MANY roms out there. if it works on many other roms, then it can be fixed for the stock rom.....UNLESS the issue with his fix is affecting bloatware. he doesn't have to worry about that. but the htc prgrammers do. hmmmmm......

0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
Oh they have it fixed already unless no one has been told to look at the code. They already know where to look for the problem. Now the problem would be all the red tape to get the fix out.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

i know it's for a different rom, but he claims to have fixed it in 30 minutes, and i believe him. do you really think this bug has htc's entire team of developers stumped? they may not be able to just copy his code, but they could, at the very least test it on the stock rom. they could also see what he did to fix it on the custom rom as a starting point. i know it's more difficult than all of us think, but it can be done, and i believe that if they've got the best programmers making the big bucks, it should have already been done.

also, there is a specific fix for one particular rom....a specific fix for another particular rom.....and then a patch that has been put our there for other roms. it was fixed immediately for MANY roms out there. if it works on many other roms, then it can be fixed for the stock rom.....UNLESS the issue with his fix is affecting bloatware. he doesn't have to worry about that. but the htc prgrammers do. hmmmmm......

I agree..  I 100% agree but I just dont want users to start demanding it now because they think it was a fix that they already had solution to..  since they still need to test it,

0 Likes
mstarb25

Good tip while waiting for revision otherwise 2.3 is a great improvement, thanks

0 Likes
mstarb25

You mention sense 3.0 being smooth. Is this part of the GB upgrade?

Thanks

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

mstarb25 wrote:

You mention sense 3.0 being smooth. Is this part of the GB upgrade?

Thanks

No Sense 3.0 is only a part of the custom roms.  The GB update will be based on 2.1

0 Likes
shepardd

Check your agreement.  Under included features it says "Enjoy Basic Voice Mail with Message Waiting Indicator."  Since Verizon considers our signature to make a contract, seems like we're currently paying for something they are not providing.  A contract is a contract.

I'll be visiting my local store tonight.  Having to dial in to check voice mail is obnoxious.  Oh, and I'm having no luck setting up GV.  The call to forward will not go through, I get a switch message from Verizon.

HTC writes bad code and Verizon doesn't QA.  I'll never buy an HTC phone again.

0 Likes