Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
KathyH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Shivmaker,

Consistency is key and we want to unlock that luxury for you on your Thunderbolt. That being said, we're terribly sorry to learn about the battery issues as well as the delay in dialing. Now, it's very odd that the delay has persisted through several replacements so may I ask if you tried safe mode http://vz.to/16RrZ8j ? That disables third party apps so we can better isolate the issue. Please give that a shot and test.

KathyH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
insulatorsplus

Hi Rose,

I cannot send a PM to someone who I'm not "friends" with on here apparently. However, I already know I am not eligible for an upgrade. I had originally planned to get one in September but then Verizon changed the rules (of course) so now I am not eligible until next year and am stuck with this phone that has faulty software. That being said ... I was able to get a screen capture of the message it shows each time it shuts down. Maybe this will help with deploying a patch? By the way - it has now even started doing this while plugged into the charger, so definitely NOT a battery issue and continuing to get worse. Screenshot_2013-11-14-15-07-47.pngWhether I click wait or OK, the phone still shuts down. And as you can see from the screen shot, the battery is fully charged and on the charger when this happened!

0 Likes
insulatorsplus

I REALLY hope now that I have posted a picture in a reply above as proof that it is a system issue, Verizon Reps will stop referring to this as a "battery issue." It has nothing to do with the battery, it is faulty software and my picture proves that! Just admit the developers made a mistake somewhere and they need to figure out where it was. I'm not saying it's easy to find the mistake, I am just tired of hearing and reading "It's a battery issue" as if to blame HTC. I am also not saying they aren't at fault. I just expect that Verizon should take ownership of the issue and find a fix to the software, or submit it to HTC so they can, so we can use our phones without running from outlet to outlet just to keep it on. We shouldn't be forced to upgrade to a new phone because of an issue that is very obviously more wide spread than just a few phones.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Have you done a master reset. That will correct the issue

0 Likes
insulatorsplus

Oh gee, is that all it takes? Gosh I should have thought of that before. OH YEAH!!! I DID!!! Please read the entire thread with all included posts before you post what's already been addressed. Thanks!

0 Likes
budone
Legend
Sorry, for scanning a post to a very old thread.
0 Likes
KathyH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hey there insulatorplus,

Thanks for the additional information. We absolutely want to make sure that we get you up and running. We have reached out to to our device support team who is currently reviewing this matter with HTC.  I appreciate your patience while we work towards a resolution.

KathyH_VZW

0 Likes
DirtyHunter

I have preformed a factory reset and used the pre-installed apps. It still shutdown randomly even without any apps. I read on another forum to put the phone in airplane mode(can't make phone calls:/) so I did and my phone hasn't shutdown yet in these past 48ish hours. So this proves this is not a problem with the batteries but with the software. I would love to see a solution to this problem soon.

0 Likes
msg452
Enthusiast - Level 3

dude,  you're going to lash out at another user for trying to help?  In spite of your crappy, "entitled 4-year old" attitude, I'll take time out of my day to offer this up for the sake of community contribution.

I had the same battery drain issue, so I share the same frustration as all the users here.  It did seem to coincide with the ICS update, which made the root cause difficult to track down.  To complicate things, my experience was that without any significant use, the battery would perform/last to varying lengths of time, none acceptable.  However, I noticed that the device never failed/rebooted while on the charger.  Off the charger though, it was beginning to fail/reboot more reliably with use - specifically internet and sometimes phone.  Same problem here - the device would appear to stall/struggle, then followed by vibrate/white HTC screen/reboot.  It seems that under light use it was okay, but if the device were taxed, it would fail.  I first replaced the battery with one from a damaged Thunderbolt we had laying around.  The problem appeared to go away.  I tested with this used battery successfully for several days, then ordered a replacement battery SEIDIO.

Insulatorsplus - if you have not yet tried a replacement battery, you cannot rule it out as being the problem.  Granted, I understand that not everyone has spares lying around.  Can't be sure, but I think it may fix your problem.  The android.process.acore appears to be a separate issue.  If do a little research, as I'm sure you have, you'll find suggestions on android specific forums to correct this problem, which is not limited to the HTC Thunderbolt, btw, so your conclusion about still getting the message while on charger most likely has nothing to do with the condition of your battery and the unexpected drain/reboot issue.

0 Likes
KathyH_VZW
Verizon Employee

@DirtyHunter,

I can certainly see how frustrating and inconvenient it can get to have your phone constantly rebooting. I appreciate you trying the hard reset. I researched this and did not find it to be a reported known issue with this device. Since you already performed the hard reset and it did not help, I suggest taking the phone into a VZW store http://bit.ly/3SdsA for a hands on evaluation. You can also follow me and send me a private message with your name, number, and billing password so I can access and review your account for possible replacement options.

JohnB_VZW

0 Likes