Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
DirtyHunter

Well that would be nice, but I believe that my Verizon warranty as well as the factory warranty have both expired. I also don't want to pay for costly repairs and examinations. Looks like I'm stuck with this phone until June. 😕

0 Likes
Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
dhamblin60

Hi Kathy, has there been any further updates to the reboot/random power off issues? About 2 weeks ago mine suddenly started doing many of the problems described in these threads. It started powering down randomly, with the battery, which was replaced in the last three months showing 9-10 percent when it was just taken off the charger and was full after a full night charge as well as other times from partial to full charge. It happens while taking pictures, talking on the phone, or just in idle. I did a factory wipe and it seemed to be better, but then within a couple of days was shutting down again. This phone was legendary in it's reliability and I love it and don't really want to get rid of it in spite of all the nice VZ messages. I am an old guy and don't run a ton of apps on it. Any help you can give would be appreciated.....( and i won't even threaten to leave VZ or HTC 🙂

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We thank you for not threatening to leave, dhamblin60. There hasn't been an update to the Thunderbolt since March 2013. We thank you for taking the time to already perform the reset. Does it charge normally?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dhamblin60

Hi Tamara, thx for the reply, I am a retired IBM service rep and understand

that it doesn't do any good to beat up the folks trying to help you :-).

The charging cycle seems to be pretty consistent in length, except the

battery will sometimes will go to nearly drained in a very short time,

sometimes minutes but then it will be back full or nearly so when put on

the charger for a short time. Today it powered down twice with a 3/4

battery life showing. It almost seems the battery microprocessor is

flaky.......any help you can give is appreciated, thx, Don

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi dhamblin60,

Aww thank you, we appreciate your kindness. But goodness, that's not good we need to get you back in business. Have you installed any new applications? How long does the battery normally last? Are you closing all your applications?

-KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dhamblin60

Hi Karen, sorry for late response, it's been a little crazy around here,

even for a retired guy :-). I just had a series of events happen and I will

try to recount them as accurately as I can. I have 7 downloaded apps in

addition to the operating system load. After the wipe, I reloaded them.

Just a few minutes ago I looked at my phone and it was off again. This

morning I took it off the charger, made no calls at all on it, checked my

Chase accounts for about 5 minutes and used no other apps. When I restarted

it, it came up and said I had 12% battery, and immediately powered down. I

restarted it and it said I had 12% again and went down again. I took the

back off and removed the battery for about 15 sec's. Reinstalled it and

rebooted and it came up to 92% full and went down again immediately. I

started it again without taking the battery out and it was back to 12%. I

removed the battery again and reinstalled it, rebooted and now it is at 50%

and went down again. I just put it back on the charger and am not sure what

to do at this point. The battery that I bought several months ago is

branded Anker. I also go during this process, 2 msgs, one said the phone

needed to be re validated ( not exact words) and then separately also said

the "android.process.acore has stopped". I hope some of this makes sense to

you. The only thing I can think of is that the battery microprocessor and

the operating system are not communicating properly. This all just started

a couple of weeks ago, and this phone has been absolutely a perfect

phone..........Let me know what you think, thx, Don

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
dhamblin60

Hi Karen, this is another update re my thunderbolt. I may be getting excited too quickly, but this phone is now working far faster and better than I have ever seen it. I noticed that every time I tried to use the camera, it would power down in 10 seconds or less. I disabled the camera app last evening and it has not failed since. In fact it is so fast that it startles me. If this continues, I will be a very happy camper....stay tuned, Don

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional details dhamblin60. I see in your second response that the device is performing better now. Please be aware we don't support third party accessories for the devices. We are happy to further troubleshoot if the problems resurface; however, please be aware our control may be limited with the aftermarket battery.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes