Question on Unlocking HTC Thunderbolt ( no longer in contract )
cernoma
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a HTC Thunderbolt and my contract with Verizon has expired about a year ago (I now pay month to month).  Now that I have satisfied the contract the phone is completely mine.

I am curious as to how to go about unlocking the phone ... And if I did so, what happens immediately (meaning will I automatically no longer have Verizon service?) What if i choose to keep service with Verizon?  It would make sense to me that I should be able to used an unlocked phone on Verizon, especially when the phone was on the Verizon network for three plus years now.  Please help me to understand. I have scoured the support site with no luck, which is a bit surprising to me (that other folks are not interested in unlocking a phone that they have essentially paid for)

I appreciate any concrete assistance I can get.

Before anyone questions my judgement, I do like my phone. With one exception of a drained battery issue that surfaced coincidentally at the same time as the ICS update, this phone has not let me down.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Question on Unlocking HTC Thunderbolt ( no longer in contract )
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The HTC Thunderbolt doesn't have the physical radio hardware for it to be unlocked.  The LTE portion is the only GSM style radios in the device and the frequency it works on isn't compatible with the other networks on the USA and around the road.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Question on Unlocking HTC Thunderbolt ( no longer in contract )
cernoma
Enthusiast - Level 1

after paying for phone... it can't be unlocked? wow!  thanks for great insight ... much appreciated

0 Likes