Re: Phone repeatedly dropping 4G LTE connection
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

Same problems here with 4G disappearing for stretches of time.  Some days, my phone can't drop 4G even if I willed it to, and other days like today, I can't get 4G to show up long enough to run a speed test. 

My Thunderbolt location here is southeastern Michigan by the way and from what I can tell from other Forums on Android devices, this is a common problem that seems to come and go.  It's December and the last post was June and there are still people having sporadic problems.

0 Likes
debejyo

I have the same issue with Bionic and Droid 4. Verizon replaced my Bionic and nothing changed. So, its not a device issue. Something is wrong with the 4G LTE. Its lightning fast and as intermittent as well!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to get the most out of your 4G service debejyo! I recommend removing your SIM card and toggling airplane mode when you find you lose a data connection. If the difficulties continue, please run the devices in safe mode for a full day to rule out third party app conflicts. Here's some helpful links for your reference!

http://tiny.cc/cpw6iw

http://tiny.cc/tqw6iw

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
sound_guy

i have had that problem with my thunderbolt until i turned off the power saver. now it works fine

0 Likes
debejyo

Hi Jonathan,

There is no "safe boot" option in bionic or droid 4. May be its known as something else?

I also wanted to throw in that if I run on 3G, the service is excellent. It never drops even for 1 sec. I tried running on 3G for few days now and its successful. I stay in a 4G area (Michigan). So, the coverage issue is not there. In fact, when I bought my phone last year, it had worked great till 2nd quarter of this year. It never used to drop connection even once.

Also, the number of bars appear to be less in 4G as compared to 3G. Any suggestions? I'm starting to get disappointed with the 4G connection consistency.

Thanks,

Debejyo

0 Likes
droidcharge168

My friend and I both bought Droid Charge's on July 1st of 2011. For about 6-8 months 4G worked flawlessley and we never lost the connection to it. Then like many others have reported it would occasionally go out, no big deal. Roughly 4 months after that and up until now it has gotten consistently worse and I find myself losing it all of the time. My friend and I will have our phones next to each other sometimes and one of us will have 4G while the other does not. Also like others have stated, most of the time it decides to drop 4G, it is when you try to use it.

It has been about a year now since we started having these problems and it is all over the verizon forums and the android forums. We're pretty good with tech so we've obviously been toggling just the data button, toggling airplane mode, fully removing the 4G card or restarting the phone all together to get 4G back. This USED to work most of the time. However like I said it has just deteriated over time. Even the sales rep at Costco knew it is a network issue when I asked them a few months ago but it's the first time i've heard anyone acknowledge it. (Way back we originally thought it was a defect in the Droid Charge itself as it was one of the only 4G phones). Also want to put out there that we live in metro Detroit and we are fully covered in 4G.

The most frusterating part i'm sure for everyone is not just the fact that we're losing 4G constantly, it's that this is definitely a known issue yet I haven't heard Verizon come out and:

1) Acknowledge that there is a big problem and

2) Let customers know whether they are doing anything to resolve this

It's also disappointing that there are a million threads on here with people listing different phones with the same issue. Just adds clutter to the forums and less resolution to a single issue. At this point i've grown used to the problem and it's just plain disappointing because my friend and I just have to deal with it. I guess the next issue is if it's even worth it to get an S3 or an iPhone 5 since they're probably going to have the same issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello DroidCharge168,

I really appreciate you taking the time to add to the community discussion.  When reviewing data connectivity and the Droid Charge I found that there was a software update that was to correct connectivity issues.  That software version is i510.FP5.  Please verify by going to Settings > About Phone.

If you are already on the current software it is very possible that it may be the sim card itself.  You can replace them at no cost at a Corporate Verizon Wireless store.

Please advise!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
droidcharge168

Melissa,

Thank you for the response. I confirmed that I was on the latest software version, went to my local Verizon store this past Saturday and got the sim card replaced. So far so good it hasn't dropped yet so thanks for the heads up. I will post back if I run into any more issues incase anyone else has been reading this.

0 Likes
cookie4580
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been experiencing this same issue for months.  Most of the time I am in WiFi so I tend to forget about it.  This past weekend, after making sure the software was updated I took it to the Verizon store.  They replaced the SIM card and right in front of the salesman it was still doing it.  Last night I was ready to throw it across the restaurant because it wouldn't stay connected.  As I said, I have tried everything here with no success.  The salesman just said he has no idea what is wrong.  Basically I have to live with it because my phone isn't under warrantly nor is there any insurance on it because I got it from my son-in-law.

0 Likes
jbt816
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure if you have a thunderbolt, but I posted this on another forum

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/887882#887882

0 Likes