Not receiving full SMS messages from ATT iPhones
Justint87

I have only seen a handful of other people with this problem, but I was hoping someone could help. I have an HTC Thunder Bolt and constantly have problems receiving full text messages from people that have iPhones on ATT. My phone has been replaced, my SIM card has been replaced, technicians at the store have tried "adjusting some settings" (whatever they mean by that), I've tried using several different messaging apps and nothing has worked.

On top of that, the refurbished phone that was just sent to me has issues with its WiFi as well. Constantly disconnecting from networks. I did a factory reset of the phone and both problems still persist.

I've been with Verizon for quite some time and don't really want to consider changing carriers. Other than troublesome phones, you guys have been great. Help resolving this matter would be truly appreciated

0 Likes
Re: Not receiving full SMS messages from ATT iPhones
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

The sender may be having his message broken by the either the provider or device that they are using.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you lemew for taking the time to help out.

@Justint87,

I use my text messaging all the time to stay connected with family and friends so I definitely understand your concern. But don’t worry because I’m here to help!

Are you having issues with all text messages sent from an AT&T iPhone? Are the text messages longer than 160 characters or contain any special characters? Also, if they have a signature in their text that may cause issues as well.

I recommend you advise the people that are sending you the text message to check with their carrier to see if the issue is on their end. If you continue to have this issue I recommend you contacting us so that we may file a trouble ticket.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mattd32

The problem is the hand off between a GSM network and a CDMA network. I have the same problem with my T-Bolt. I have found that using GOSMSPro has helped some but the problem still is there. The frustration is when you get a multi text from a friend and then a couple of texts later another one gets cut off.

0 Likes
topherj75

I have this exact same problem. My girlfriend is on AT&T with an iPhone (not sure what generation) and *sometimes* I get all of her text messages (broken up, but still they come through) and other times it's as if they've been broken up, but I only get the first part. They break up at around 150-ish characters give or take.

I'm also on a HTC ThunderBolt running Android 2.3.7

Just to be clear, this doesn't happen ALL the time, there are some times she'll send me super-long texts and I'll get all of the parts as was intended. But then sometimes (more often that we'd like) her messages cut off. It's annoying to have to ask her to repeat herself all the time. 😕

Would switching to the Galaxy sIII help at all? I don't know if this is a problem with hardware or what.

I don't like AT&T but I guess I could move over if I had to. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Leontough
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the issue with receiving messages over 160 characters from non Verizon customers.  I have been having this issue for quite some time on my Thunderbolt and have seen the issue on multiple forums for the HTC Thunderbolt.  I don't think this issue is with the other carriers because I will have them send the same message to the LG Ally on my account and the messages are split up into multiple messages so that the entire message is received.  I only receive the first 160 characters.  I also have other people who have Verizon who receive the same messages and do no have this issue (none have the HTC Thunderbolt).  This is really frustrating because it has still not been resolved.  I was hoping the update to ICS would fix the issue, but it has not,  I performed the "wipe cache partition" instructions found in this thread https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/937820#937820 but this also did not work (I was happy to at least have a suggestion on how to fix it.)  Please continue to work on this issue.   This not being resolved has made me consider whether or not to renew my contract because I do not want to go through something like this again.  I have had great luck with Verizon in the past, but am disappointed with this known issue not being taken care of by now.

0 Likes