More tracking software found in android
ghamden

More tracking software found in android thunderbolt has it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ey-stroke.html

0 Likes
Re: More tracking software found in android
Wildman
Legend

I understand that no one wants all information stored on their device but there hasnt been any information that verifies that the information is transmitted and also the information that so many are reporting recently isnt any diffrent than the information that can be tracked through using the SDK for android...   At this time I think this is just another thing that users wants to get worked up over..  Another thing that the poster failed to post is that the data is purged regularly from the systems log...

Besides I can run any device with any OS and be able to retrieve the same information...  Its time to drop the panic alert with every post about a rootkey or keylogger when in programming the developer uses this data to troubleshoot a device so it isnt always a attack .

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

the link no longer works. was it in reference to Carrier IQ:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57333652-17/android-handsets-secretly-logging-keystrokes-sms-messa...

if so, then i do think it's sort of a big deal. when a software company orders a cease and dissist order against a guy for merely posting user manuals, then they are doing something they didn't want us to be aware of. to me, Carrier IQ is no different than an illegal wiretap......unless somewhere in our contract we agreed to be part of this???? when i install a new keyboard i clearly see (and agree to) the terms that state it will track my keystrokes, remember passwords, etc.....but i don't recall agreeing to that when i simply activated the device. i'm not saying i didn't.....as i very well may have, but i don't recall anything about it. you also can't disable it, which is a big no no to me. (fyi.....an infamous iphone hacker has now found carrier iq on the iphone as well.....and many bb's)

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

update.....it's not on the thunderbolt....or verizon for that matter. 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/107427-carrier-iq-which-phones-are-infected-and-how-to-remove-i...

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

the link no longer works. was it in reference to Carrier IQ:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57333652-17/android-handsets-secretly-logging-keystrokes-sms-messa...

if so, then i do think it's sort of a big deal. when a software company orders a cease and dissist order against a guy for merely posting user manuals, then they are doing something they didn't want us to be aware of. to me, Carrier IQ is no different than an illegal wiretap......unless somewhere in our contract we agreed to be part of this???? when i install a new keyboard i clearly see (and agree to) the terms that state it will track my keystrokes, remember passwords, etc.....but i don't recall agreeing to that when i simply activated the device. i'm not saying i didn't.....as i very well may have, but i don't recall anything about it. you also can't disable it, which is a big no no to me. (fyi.....an infamous iphone hacker has now found carrier iq on the iphone as well.....and many bb's)

Like I said that this can be used for troubleshooting and besides to access this information you usually have to have root access to get to the data being stored...  It isn't a required but it could make the diagnostic process easier.

It makes it a bit hard to belong to the technology world without expecting some data somewhere to be stored, in order to have a device to be ahead of your actions the device has to know what you intend to do...

Since I haven't tested the software I cant say for sure but if I had to guess the data is logged to a temp file and purged once processed is completed and as for remembering passwords, your device does that multiple times already....   Emails, Web Site Log-Ins, YouTube, Facebook but I don't see anyone getting upset that those apps do this.

I am not saying its not good to be aware but its times to stop calling wolf every time someone reports a possible risk before verifying the info..  Electronic devices are a walking security risk because they are made to store personal data and store information for later access and any knowledgeable user can retrieve this information.   

The only guarantee to not have personal data accessed is to stop using technology..

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i understand all of that wildman......but it asks me if i want it to remember passwords. a keyboard app clearly states it will be logging your keystrokes. everything that i "was" aware being stored, i also recall agreeing to......except fo this one. you can't even find the software on the device unless you really know what you are doing. this isn't the same thing as the browser or keyboard asking you if it's ok to store info. this is doing it without anyone's knowledge. to me there is a big difference. 

no matter though, since big red isn't using it  :smileyhappy:  yay verizon. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I figured you did but I was replying in general for the users that are getting all worked up over this...  Nothing directed at you...

0 Likes
Davebuff

Since it isobvious you are not a programmer, quit feeding us bull.  That tracking software can even turn on your mic and listen to room conversations.  When and where did the purchaser of the cell phone approve of this tracking?  I smell a nice ClAct suit.  Should be worth millions.  Wish I had a smart phone to get rich from.  Any good 15 year old hacker could turn the phone on and listen to the room.  Or, does not VZW and their suppliers hire programmers that aren't that old.  Yes, I have done programming/code writing.  It was possible years ago to get the data.  Since it is easier to do on a smart phone, I had stayed away from them.

0 Likes
Davebuff

Do you have on of these phones?  To do the data check and download, there is no reason for it to be on a half hour.  Or is this done to make sure everyone buys a spare battery so they can use their phone during the day when they are awake?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Davebuff wrote:

Since it isobvious you are not a programmer, quit feeding us bull.  That tracking software can even turn on your mic and listen to room conversations.  When and where did the purchaser of the cell phone approve of this tracking?  I smell a nice ClAct suit.  Should be worth millions.  Wish I had a smart phone to get rich from.  Any good 15 year old hacker could turn the phone on and listen to the room.  Or, does not VZW and their suppliers hire programmers that aren't that old.  Yes, I have done programming/code writing.  It was possible years ago to get the data.  Since it is easier to do on a smart phone, I had stayed away from them.

I am not sure if this was directed to me but you cant be more wrong, I have developed and worked software research and development and I have to deal with individuals that do not research information, this can be the weakest link....  The information that is being accessed is simply research data that requires access to restricted areas of the device, so plan in simple unless you plan to go to every customers device and plug it directly to you pc to run the required developer software required to read this data this isn't a flaw at this time...   Now if you are rooted you are taking a shot in the dark because your device is wide open.

Here's a hint do your research before you start throwing out half truths...   If you have all this programming knowledge you would know that you are using a digital device that is nothing but a storage of personal electronic data and if a hacker wants your information they can get it...  You use email, facebook, web browser and many other software's that transmit electronic information out of your device regularly..  All I need is you network id to clone your transmissions to and from your device..

I have more than enough knowledge of the programming side of all these devices and since the codes are open source you are confused on how it works...  Sounds like its time for you to get some knowledge because you are in a dark room not seeing what is the truth...  Knowledge is key...

When all said and done you can jump the gun like most usually do when they read subjects like this but when all is said and done until you know the truth its not important to me...   Good Day..

0 Likes