MMS over WiFi not working after Sense 6 Update
indyshox
Enthusiast - Level 2

A week ago Monday, the Sense 6 update hit my phone.  Once loaded, I could no longer send MMS over WiFi, stream Google Play Music over WiFi, access my content on Google Play Books, or back up my pics to Google Cloud over WiFi.  After several days of e-mails back and forth with HTC, it was determined that I had to perform a Hard Reset and lose all my information.  This after clearing the cache, re-booting, various Safe Mode re-boots, etc.  Nothing worked.  I finally gave in and performed the hard reset.  Now, the only thing NOT working is MMS over WiFi.  I've tried other WiFi networks and still no MMS functionality.  After about 10 minutes, I get a red triangle next to the message and an error notification, "Generic Network Failure."

This is going to start costing me money.  Like so many of us, I no longer have unlimited data.  Now, every time I want to send an MMS, I have to use my data plan.  Not cool.  I'm hoping that someone sees this and is working on the problem.  I love my HTC One (M7), I really do.  But, we're talking basic smart phone functionality.  Without it, I'll be looking for another phone, and perhaps even another carrier.  I'd prefer not to do that, but so be it.  Please, Verizon, a little help?

For what it's worth, the MMS does this first.  Notice the little MMS icon with the clock lower right...it just hangs there first...and sorry about the shoe pic.Screenshot_2014-06-10-22-53-05(1).png

Next, it does the Red Triangle thing...

Screenshot_2014-06-10-23-04-58.png

And that's all I know.  Perhaps someone here, or a kindly VZW employee will see this and take pity.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MMS over WiFi not working after Sense 6 Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

indyshox, thanks for these details and your patience while resolving the issues on your device. You will need to connect to our network when sending multi-media text messages. However, the delivery of those messages will not debit from your data allowance.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone was never able to send picture text messages through the wifi network. It always needed the cellular data connection turned on and active.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
indyshox
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the HTC One can and does (or did) send picture text messages (MMS) over wifi.  Has since the day I bought it last November.  Just go into settings and turn off the mobile data, turn on your wifi, and everything works the same.  Not sure what phone you have, but for the HTC One, that is not correct.  Sorry to disagree, but it sends MMS over WiFi.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

We will have to agree to disagree because that was not my experience with the HTC One.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
indyshox
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's fine.  But it's not a disagreement, it's how my HTC One works.

0 Likes
pharmsol
Enthusiast - Level 2

Duplicate post -

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

indyshox, thanks for these details and your patience while resolving the issues on your device. You will need to connect to our network when sending multi-media text messages. However, the delivery of those messages will not debit from your data allowance.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
chiroxiphia81

I am having the exact same issue with my HTC one, which started immediately after updating to sense 6. Very annoying since I do not have unlimited mobile data plan, so I have to manually turn mobile data on each time I want to send or receive mms texts, including texts with multiple recipients. Did not have this issue before the update. Love this phone, my very first smartphone. But it is hard to believe that I was able to send pics over text with my old flip phone with no data plan. And now I can't with the HTC. I just can't have the mobile data on at all Times. It has become very inconvenient ever since the upgrade. Wish I had never done sense 6.

0 Likes
HappyJackDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Wait a minute.  As the Verizon rep said, texting doesn't use your data plan data.  Texting is separate, and that includes MMS.  So if you have unlimited texting, there's no need to worry about MMS texts using the network rather than WiFi.

oswaldap

So, you are saying that sending MMS doesn't take away from data allowances?

0 Likes