Kit Kat Destroy's HTC One....
soldierone
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Kit Kat update was out for months, but supposedly Verizon was testing it to make sure it functioned right.... so you would expect it to be fine. Nope.

Installed Kit Kat update and now almost everything on this phone is unstable, mostly un usable in every way.... People can barely hear you when talking, speakers sound like crap, text messages randomly glitch out and won't send, games are having massive unstable issues (even the simplistic Flappy Bird won't run right anymore), and my camera is all kinds of weird now too (for some reason in dark areas it turns purple) and along with all that, a lot of the software features HTC put in the One are all gone too (no smiles from HTC, can't post to Facebook from the home screen, etc)

The worst part is the data and software issues the update has. I can't load images, a lot of web pages get stuck, and GPS is wonky. Even on wi fi..... Plus all the color indicators of the icons are all gone, can't tell if battery level is almost dead or not for example.

I thought it was weird that it rearranged my apps, but figured it was just the useless Verizon stuff that re activated after the update (like usual), but no, it literally had to re arranged everything for some reason.....

I was excited for Kit Kat, but how do I downgrade because this update sucks and made my phone crap.....

Re: Kit Kat Destroy's HTC One....
Not applicable

you can't downgrade. maybe you did something wrong.

0 Likes
soldierone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't do anything. It popped up to update, I ignored it, but it kept asking so I went ahead and let go. Pushed to update and left it alone until it was done.

Come back to it, and my phone functions like crap..... The slight benefit of it booting up faster and un-necessary other features don't make up for the poor functions it brought.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The HTC One runs just fine with the KitKat version of the Android OS. For whatever issues you seem to be having, what troubleshooting steps have you tried? Run in safe mode to eliminate any third party applications from conflicting with the phone? Clear the system cache? Removed the third party applications from the phone?

You do know Flappy Bird has been removed from the Play Store, right?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
taddlock
Enthusiast - Level 2

100% agree Kit Kat just took my HTC One back about 10 years ... everything locks up, camera will not function correctly, it can't even do the basics any longer.  Phone sits and does nothing ... all the time draining the battery in record time.  How do I un-update back to the previous version?

Not applicable

You can't roll the update back. Just a question to any of you with issues, you didn't root your phones?

0 Likes
supert1020

Have you tried restoring your phone I have kitkat with no problems but upgrading a phone is like upgrading windows sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't but doing a fresh install (restore) should fix everything. Go to backup and reset then click on reset phone.  Make sure everything is backed up including text messages.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

taddlock wrote:

100% agree Kit Kat just took my HTC One back about 10 years ... everything locks up, camera will not function correctly, it can't even do the basics any longer.  Phone sits and does nothing ... all the time draining the battery in record time.  How do I un-update back to the previous version?

I find it fascinating, and puzzling at the same time, that some HTC One phones got the update, and all is well, even improved.  Others seem to have been royally messed up by the update.  Why does it work on some phones and not others?

We got the One late last year, and it did get a small update soon after we got it.  The camera has been very inconsistent, as stated - purplish (or yellowish) tones in low light at times, but not always.  Otherwise it's been a nice phone. 

KitKat was pushed, installed, and so far the camera function seems improved, Google wallet and tap to pay works, battery life is the same (1-2 days on a full charge) ... no problems connecting to wifi or bluetooth ... maybe we are just lucky?

I suppose we could compare installed apps and general usage patterns to see what differences there are ... one thought that does occur to me - how much free space is there on your device?  Ours has about 13 of the 32 GB used, leaving over half available.  If there is not a lot of space available, it could cause issues (just like a computer if the hard drive has less than 10% free space.)

taddlock
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did not root my phone ... backed-up and factory reset the phone - problems now worse ...

0 Likes
taddlock
Enthusiast - Level 2

backed up then restored the phone ... very frustrating process ... HTC One now worse than before restore.  Phone rings, can't answer ... have to turn off then restart to make the return call ...

Verizon HTC One update = FAIL