Re: HTC Thunderbolt continuously drops all data.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the Tbolt was released, it didn't include an LTE network switch. The LTE OnOff application was developed as a shortcut to a standard HTC testing menu. A LTE switch was later added to the phone mobile network settings. The CDMA only option in the phone settings is equal to the CDMA Auto (PRL) option in the LTE OnOff application. The LTE/CDMA option in the phone settings is the also the same option as the LTE/EDVO Auto option in the LTE OnOff application. The phone switches between 3G and 4G when the phone is left in the LTE/CDMA setting. CDMA Only is for 3G connections only.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Bogart56

I am sorry my message sounded out of place. Life throwing to many

curve balls and didn't realize.

0 Likes
Nose

I've been experiencing the same drops as every other tbolt owner; but something made me remember the 4g outage early last year and how you could force your phone to 3g to stop it from continually looking for unworking 4g.

I switched mine from the default "CDMA + LTE/EvDO auto" mode to "LTE mode" and I haven't had a drop in a day of testing.  Granted my area in Indiana is fully 4G so I'm not switching to 3G as many folks are in partially built out areas, but doing this same change, you could force into 3G mode as well.

Here's what I did:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/22/tip-force-htc-thunderbolt-to-use-3g-only-turn-off-4g/

0 Likes
Nose

...and, nevermind.  altought it seemd to limit the number of drops; i did find it doing it a couple times today; so not a total solution.

I have found turning off all location services "seems" to help as well.

0 Likes
2crazey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well finally gave up on my Thunderbolt, they sent me a Galaxy Nexus. Will miss my TB but the Nexus is definitely a step up. Best of all no data drops, strong 4G all the time. Hope they either fix the problem or update all your phones. Good luck everyone.

0 Likes
Itchydatsun

You can also use *#*#4636#*#* under your phone dialing to force 3g/4g on HTC Thunderbolts.

Hit (phone information) then scroll down to (Set preferred network types:) for low signal areas it helps alot.

0 Likes
fatdaddy1234567

Like others on here I have had the same problems happening for months (includes troubleshooting).  Long story short Tech support reprogrammed my data connectivity on their end didnt fix it, sent New SIM cards didnt fix it, New Thunderbolt phones with new SIMs didnt fix it, and many factory resets in between each step that didnt fix it.  Yes each of those steps were each done multiple times.  Finally they just said, let us send you a new different phone of your choice.  That seems to have erradicated the issue.  It sucks that you have to change phones, but it seems that is the only fix even tech support can find.

0 Likes
donlon101

Im having the same issue as everone else. This is my second thunderbolt and I remember that verizon had me jump through a bunch of hoops to finally replace the first one.  They made me drive to a service center, hard reset the phone after 2 hours of waiting, then when the phone dropped the signal again they werent paying attention and made me wait another 30 minutes for it to drop again. They gave me a new sim card and said they were closing and to come back again if it was still having issues. I drove back as soon as i could find a car and they tried to make me reset the phone again, but eventually agreed to giving me a replacement after one more simcard attempt. I really dont have the time or energy to deal with Verizon again on this and I think I'm out of their one year warranty since I adopted the phone early (big mistake). How did manage to get a replacement? I dont want to lose my unlimited data.

0 Likes
aymdoggydog

I live in Seattle WA and I've had the same problem for the last 3 months of continuously dropping 4G, 3G, ect.  It'll even go to 1X or just nothing except the bars.  In July, we had friends from IL come visit us and they too are Verizon customers and they said they have been having the same problems in IL (Bloomington area) for about the same amount of time.  They also experienced it when visiting here.

I really love this phone but it gets frustrating to be paying for this service yet it continuously drops.

I would be really happy if they could fix this issue, that seems to be happening all over the place. 

0 Likes
NicolaZs
Enthusiast - Level 1

whats beautiful about this is i been told for the last week im the only one with the HTC thunderbolt having this issue ....Looks like im not .... Thanks for the Lie Verizon ..... Hope to hear it again soon