Re: HTC Thunderbolt continuously drops all data.
tekkiesprocket

I'm in green bay which got 4g a year ago. I have 3 thunderbolts on my plan and all do the same cycling 4g/3g on and off while on verizons network. Interestingly enough when I am roaming on cellcom towers up in oconto falls etc I have solid 4g or 3g connections. I've tried locking into 3g only mode with the same problem,and it is exclusively while on the verizon network.  You can't tell me 3 phones went bad with identical issues at the exact same time.and that its the phones when thecissue only happens while I am on the verizon network. Verizon needs to get their act together or they are going to loose another 5 customers.I don't like sprints coverage but at least they still have unlimited data.

0 Likes
Wazzul

Ok, so I heard back from the Verizon on my ticket. They blamed service in my area, the problem with that is that I travel over 40 miles each day to work and have had issues everywhere. Basically, after all was said and done, they agreed that it was the phone itself. Now, my phone is about a month out of warranty so there isn't anything they could do. However, in the past week I was able to mess around with the battery cover. I was one of those people who wanted more battery life so I bought the extended battery. Luckily I had an extra back cover laying around. I slapped that other cover on the phone and boom, working 10x better now. It's not perfect like it had been the 12 months prior, but every time I throw that old cover on the data signal goes away again.

HTC is known for putting the antenna's in the back cover. I'm sure this is great for cutting costs and things, but the problem is after about a year of use the cover starts to get loose and the contacts wear down. Which in turn causes problems for the user and the carrier trying to troubleshoot an obvious design flaw. Sorry Verizon, this one isn't on you. This is my second HTC phone and although the tech seems to be good, the durability and design is terrible. My first phone had to be replaced twice and this one was only slightly better. This will be my last HTC phone!

That being said, anyone having this issue should at least give a new battery cover a try, it's a cheap fix if it works for you too!

0 Likes
2crazey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't agree that it is thunderbolt. I have surfed the web, and this problem is not unique to our phone, everyone is having the same problems. I know people with razors, galaxy's etc, all having the same problem. The signal is strong, and then 4g is gone, minute later it's back. I know a lot of people had problems with there bolts, but mine has always been rock solid, never any issues. I have always had very strong 4G signal, and average 18-22 Mb down, 20 Mb up. When my 4g is lit up, I still get that, but it just flashes all the time lately. Most of the non Verizon forums all believe it's a Verizon issue, and that there just not coming forward about it yet. Let's just hope that they address the issue soon, or there going to have a lot of unhappy customers.

0 Likes
SisterBoyd

I haven't looked into other phones or VW as a whole, but I'm leaning towards that belief as well. I've gone to Twitter with my problem; no company wants their problems broadcasted on social media. I was told to force my phone into 3G and keep it there for 24 hrs. Then, I was sent a direct message saying they understood my concerns, but this is the only way they can test the problem.

I'm wondering if they are stalling or penalizing those of us who use data at high volumes. I keep hearing this push to get folks who are on unlimited data packages to which to a new limited package. One of the comments that TS told me when I first complained about the issues is how high my data usage it, "wow there is a really high useage of data".

I don't think its the phone at all! I'm really disappointed in the integrity of VW to tell me that this is a new problem and absolutely nobody else was having the problem. And when they felt like they could close my ticket they decided to tell me that they received their 1st complaint that same day...and then went on to blame the problem on apps that download data to the phone.

What will happen when they launch 5G?

0 Likes
Hammz50

I read thru this thread & can add this -

I believe the problem is NOT the HTC Thunderbolt, rather, the problem of data connection drop out is the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE data system/network.  It seems to affect all 4G capable data devices on the networkand the problem seems to be nationwide. 

I suspect VW is working hard to fix the problem, but resolution may take many months, possibly several years in order to complete BOTH nationwide conversion from 3G to 4G LTE & establish 4G LTE data service reliability.  The most frustrating thing with this is: LACK OF INFO from VW.  Even CS reps at company stores are experiencing these data connection drop outs & they tell me the "official" response from VW is there are "issues with the towers." 

When the HTC Thunderbolt came to market, it was basically an "open platform" - ie VW had no way to stop the customer from using the device either tethered or as a wifi access for other devices, hence they offered the device with "free wifi/tethering use" for the first several months it was available.  It took VW/HTC programming teams at least 4 months to lock out this feature so they could force customers to pay extra (large) fees to access a feature originally included in the base HTC Thunderbolt programming.

I'm guessing once VW has established a sufficiently large base of customers with data limited plans, there will be enough incentive to prioritize 4G LTE reliability.  Until then, the data drop outs will probably continue as a way to discourage unlimited data use customers from utilizing fully their unlimited data plans, be it 3G or 4G......

0 Likes
tekkiesprocket

I am positive its not the phones for a few reasons

1. I have 3 thunderbolts with the exact same 4g/3g cycling issue. they cant all be bad.

2. wireless works flawlessly. 4g/3g and wireless use the same antenna, so its not the antennas

3. i just got a brand new thunderbolt to replace one i broke on monday. its doing the same thing.

my suspicion is that its related to a recent prl update (or the 4g/3g equivalent) which is causing the phones to hunt for new towers non stop.

0 Likes
TBoltOwner
Contributor - Level 1

I will agree that it is not the phone.I've been fortunate to never have any problems with my phone - until 2 days ago.  Now I can't get any data and I notice that the GPRS Service is disconnected (in Pittsburgh). I did some searching and found the following...

http://www.androidcentral.com/having-3g-problems-your-thunderbolt-fix-just-few-settings-away

...so I have done the procedure to force my phone into 3G mode, which seems to be working.  Funny thing is that my wife's Thunderbolt is just fine...no issues at all.  The ball is in your court Verizon!

0 Likes
KHab
Enthusiast - Level 1

I believe you will notice that most peoples problems did not start until the recent firmware that was pushed/developed in May.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I would normally agree with this under most situation but since multiple devices has had the same issues this would mean there is something more causing the issue.  I have two different devices experiencing the same issue now myself.

0 Likes
KHab
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm no dev by any means, but I'm going to assume that certain aspects of "radio" software, and the code that is used to write how a device talks to "towers" is the same in many devices.

0 Likes