HTC One Microphone static & muffled
Phealy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I have done my fair share of research on this topic. It seems like this may have something to do with a faulty batch of HTC Ones.

Description: Everything is working fine but then during a phone call, the other person is either unable to hear you or there is tremendous static. If you switch the mode to speakerphone everything works fine and as expected.

Solutions?:

People have suggested blowing into the mic hole -- didn't work for me

Replacement device -- a tad extreme but maybe necessary. What if the replacement is faulty too? Wasted time!

Other details:

There is a rumor that this has to do with faulty hardware due to HTC using different microphones..

There is also a rumor that it has something to do with HTC's Audio Cancelling software hidden deep in the Kernel/ROM/Baseband code. No one has been able to discover this yet, however.

There is another thread on here and VZW Support Agents have suggested a replacement device. I would like to open this discussion to talk about this and see if we can find a conclusive solution.

Thank you,

Patrick

Re: HTC One Microphone static & muffled
jkestrell

I am also having this problem!I've only had my phone for a couple of weeks.  I thought it was because I have hearing aids but have never had this type of problem before. Just like you, if I put it on speaker phone it's fine.

0 Likes
Phealy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey friend, so since someone actually replied to this thread let me update you Smiley Happy

I spoke to a VZW Support Agent and it seems like there are a few reports of this behavior in their records. (Plenty around the internet but...)

So we spoke for the good part of an hour and we tried the normal troubleshooting steps. She offered to send me a replacement but I don't particularly wan't a refurbished phone especially if my theory is correct and it was a batch of manufactured Ones that have this problem. I am awaiting a response to an email and I will surely report back here with what happens.

Let me ask you, are you sure you are on the latest OTA? Baseband 3.11.605.1? You can find this in Settings > About > Software Information > More > Baseband > Build Number. Make sure you're on the latest OTA but even so, i think it's a defect in the phone. Very sad Smiley Sad

Like i said, whenever i get new info i will report back! Stay tuned!

0 Likes
jkestrell

Thanks for getting back to me! Yes, I have the ccurrent OTA (thanks for

getting me there!). My phone is only a couple weeks old! Why wouldn't they

give you a brand new phone if there is a problem? How long have you had it?

Have you contacted HTC? They have gotten back to me about other

issues--poor battery power but this may be because I have poor reception.

Two other members of my family got same phone and they haven't had this or

any other problem so far. Please report back!

0 Likes
Phealy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the phone for about 4 months now. I think it's their policy to send out "Factory Restored" (refurbished) phones when there's a defect. That's how a lot of places work. I want to see if I could get a new one though, it's not right to send a used one under these circumstances.

I have not contacted HTC yet, the VZW Agent said she would so I was waiting to hear back. But it may be a good idea to go ahead and do that if you want. I'm sure if you called VZW like me you would get the same kind of reply. If you do, let me know.

Also, are you able to return it? If you got it from a VZW store or something you should be able to! Check it out!!

0 Likes
mcs0662

I just bought an HTC ONE 3 weeks ago and my Mic won't work speaker phone works fine hands free works fine regular phone ear nothing

0 Likes
collies

Hello, I just bought an HTC one M8 remix and am having this same issue. Mic isn't working unless on speaker phone. Did anyone get a resolution to this? Any information would be great. Thank you!

0 Likes
B44

I'm on my 2nd HTC One (M7) with this same issue. Was anyone able to get a satisfactory resolution?

0 Likes
follie

I have the same issue and have tried everything. My microphone issues have not been helped by any troubleshooting. It is an issue with the manufacturer that will only be fixed by replacing the device. The frustration comes when you realize that MANY HTC One devices have this issue. I am now on my 5th 'Certified Like New' replacement and every replacement device has had the same microphone issue. Instead of continuing the process I've had to use speakerphone and headphones to communicate with people. I don't have any hope at this point that Verizon will be able to help beyond continuing to send other devices that have the same manufacturing defect. If you're under the warranty - I hope you have better luck than me. If you're not, the only solution I see is to get another phone.

0 Likes
TennisDiva
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an HTC One Remix and have been experiencing the same mic failures. I also have factory reset per the advice of verizon tech but it does nothing. It saddens me to see that others have had multiple devices with this issue. hopefully verizon is paying attention to this and fixes it.

0 Likes