Free 4G til May 15th scares me....
jdudley1019

Okay I get my new upgrade on April 19th (wanting to get the Tbolt).  However, I know we get free 4G til May 15th, however, the price for the 4G hotspot after 5/15 makes me reconsider the Tbolt.  I've done some research on this phone and knowing that it has some complaints (which honestly all phones do), but not knowing how much the 4G hotspot will cost (monthly) is nerve racking!!  And the website says that the Tbolt has to have the 4G package.

What if I get the Tbolt and the hotspot costs $50/mo. for 2GB or whatever (which I cannot necessarily afford)?  I know I can afford the $29.99 unlimited data and $20 (for 2GB) for the hotspot (like the standard plan for 3G) but if VZW makes 4G $50 for the hotspot I'm screwed!  That would be $80.00 just to have some fast internet (and other features) on my phone.  Now I know that VZW isn't forcing me to buy this phone but I'd like to know the price for the 4G before buying it so that I'm not trapped into a 2 year contract paying $80/month. 

So I guess the question I'm getting at is if anyone has asked this question to any VZW employees?  Do they have any knowledge or predictions on the price of the mobile 4G hotspot?  I don't see why they'd make it higher than $20/$30 for 4G if the 4G coverage is SO limited.  All I read on these forums and such is how 4G constantly will switch to 3G.  I could understand raising the price once the 4G coverage is more established (which their prediction is 2013 for full nationwide coverage), but now I'm not sure it's worth an increase from the 3G ($20/mo. for 2GB).

I really REALLY want this phone so please help if possible.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Free 4G til May 15th scares me....
21stNow
Master - Level 1

jdudley1019 wrote:

Okay.  I'm new to smartphones completely so they don't make much since to me.  My life isn't that special where I'd need to connect to my computer or any other devices for that matter.  I just want to surf the web, update social status, be able to look up anything I want.  So from what I'm understanding, y'all are saying that 4G LTE mobile hotspot is just being able to access my laptop from my phone?  Well I wouldn't want that so if I have the option of not opting in...will I still have the 4G LTE speed?  Or will it be just another phone?

Your 4G data plan for your line of service is only for data usage on your phone.  If you are in a 4G area, you will receive 4G data speeds.  You will have to maintain the data plan on your phone for the life of the contract.  Tethering is a separate option that is an add-on feature.  VZW is allowing you to try that add-on feature for free until May 15th.  It sounds like you don't want it, so you just wouldn't use the feature.  I'm unsure if it's opt-out or opt-in.  Everyone here is saying that the tethering feature is opt-in after the 15th of May, so you should be fine.  The tethering plan is not required to use the Thunderbolt.  HTH

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

jdudley1019 wrote:

Okay I get my new upgrade on April 19th (wanting to get the Tbolt).  However, I know we get free 4G til May 15th, however, the price for the 4G hotspot after 5/15 makes me reconsider the Tbolt.  I've done some research on this phone and knowing that it has some complaints (which honestly all phones do), but not knowing how much the 4G hotspot will cost (monthly) is nerve racking!!  And the website says that the Tbolt has to have the 4G package.

What if I get the Tbolt and the hotspot costs $50/mo. for 2GB or whatever (which I cannot necessarily afford)?  I know I can afford the $29.99 unlimited data and $20 (for 2GB) for the hotspot (like the standard plan for 3G) but if VZW makes 4G $50 for the hotspot I'm screwed!  That would be $80.00 just to have some fast internet (and other features) on my phone.  Now I know that VZW isn't forcing me to buy this phone but I'd like to know the price for the 4G before buying it so that I'm not trapped into a 2 year contract paying $80/month. 

So I guess the question I'm getting at is if anyone has asked this question to any VZW employees?  Do they have any knowledge or predictions on the price of the mobile 4G hotspot?  I don't see why they'd make it higher than $20/$30 for 4G if the 4G coverage is SO limited.  All I read on these forums and such is how 4G constantly will switch to 3G.  I could understand raising the price once the 4G coverage is more established (which their prediction is 2013 for full nationwide coverage), but now I'm not sure it's worth an increase from the 3G ($20/mo. for 2GB).

I really REALLY want this phone so please help if possible.  Thanks!

Uhm...  The price doesn't change... The promotion is unlimited 4G mobile hotspot until 5/15...  You still pay the $29.99 for the unlimited data.  After 5/15 we won't have the free hotspot, and it's unknown how much they'll charge for it.  After that date you are NOT tied into a "tethering package."

0 Likes
my3chis
The Mobile Hotspot and your Unlimited data are 2 different things. The Unlimited Data for $29.95 is when you surf the web on your phone. The Free Mobile Hotspot until 5/15 is when you use your phone as an internet connection for your laptop/ipod/ipad web surfing.
0 Likes
stearic

Tidbits wrote:

Uhm...  The price doesn't change... The promotion is unlimited 4G mobile hotspot until 5/15...  You still pay the $29.99 for the unlimited data.  After 5/15 we won't have the free hotspot, and it's unknown how much they'll charge for it.  After that date you are NOT tied into a "tethering package."

So when 5/15 rolls around and the mobile hotspot promo ends, they wont' just auto add it to our accounts w/out our concent?

0 Likes
budone
Legend
My understanding is you will be required to Opt-In
0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

I''ve heard it will remain $20 for 2 Gig, $20 per 2 add'l gig, rediculous) and i've also heard the 4G version will be $30 for unlimited Hotspot, but these are all unconfirmed so who knows.

Personally as I have felt for years, tethering/hotspot FEATURES should be FREE (as in included with data plan), as they are on just about every other carrier in every country in the world except US. So I'm HOPING that Verizon sees fit to keep it that way after  5/15. I'd gladly take a capped data plan in exchange for included tethering over unlimited data which is in fact what the foreign carriers do (usually included tethering with data plans of either 500 Meg or 1 Gig or more).

0 Likes
ibanez737
Contributor - Level 1

You aren't tied into the Hotspot plan at all.  That's just to broadcast a wifi signal from your Tbolt to connect other devices to the internet.  When it's done, it just drops off and you have to either opt in from the phone, the website or with an employee.  The price hasn't been disclosed yet, but I can tell you it won't be $50

0 Likes
budone
Legend

ibanez737 wrote:

You aren't tied into the Hotspot plan at all.  That's just to broadcast a wifi signal from your Tbolt to connect other devices to the internet.  When it's done, it just drops off and you have to either opt in from the phone, the website or with an employee.  The price hasn't been disclosed yet, but I can tell you it won't be $50

And it will not be unlimited

0 Likes
ibanez737
Contributor - Level 1

budone wrote:

ibanez737 wrote:

And it will not be unlimited

You might be surprised :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
jdudley1019

Okay.  I'm new to smartphones completely so they don't make much since to me.  My life isn't that special where I'd need to connect to my computer or any other devices for that matter.  I just want to surf the web, update social status, be able to look up anything I want.  So from what I'm understanding, y'all are saying that 4G LTE mobile hotspot is just being able to access my laptop from my phone?  Well I wouldn't want that so if I have the option of not opting in...will I still have the 4G LTE speed?  Or will it be just another phone?

0 Likes