Do you / Would you recommend the Thunderbolt to a friend?
Karuk

Had a knock at my door last night at 9:45pm. It was my neighbor. We are friendly but he rarely comes to the house let alone at 9:45 at night. He said he was really sorry to bother me but he was having phone issues and was desperate for help because our local Verizon corp store did nothing to assist him. This guy is one of 3 high level execs for a huge local construction company. It is critical that he has a working phone.

He pulls out his 3 day old Thunderbolt. He proceeds to tell me that it constantly reboots, data does not work or is stuck on 1x most of the time, and email rarely comes through. I take out my Thunderbolt and we hold them side by side. He's stuck on 1x and I'm getting 4g. Just as I go to test the browser on both phones his Thunderbolt reboots. The reboot did not correct the issue. Still stuck at 1x. We did the usual stuff like a battery pull, reinsert the sim after cleaning it off, etc. We did not factory reset the device again because the Verizon store did that a little while before...twice.

He asked me what he should do. I suggested he return the phone and get the Droid Charge unless he can wait a while for an update to come from Verizon. 

Would I recommend the phone to anyone in its current state....NO WAY!

Average phone users are not prepared to deal with the issues Verizon has failed to fix. 

0 Likes
Re: Do you / Would you recommend the Thunderbolt to a friend?
bearone21
Legend
if they just had to have 4g, to talk/surf at the same time, why not?
0 Likes
Erin

I would absolutely recommend the Thunderbolt, and I have.  I'm sorry your friend has problems, but I haven't had one issue.  I've had it over a month and have nothing but good to say about it.

0 Likes
jcag10
Enthusiast - Level 2

IN MY OPINION:::NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,,,REBOOTING PROBLEM IS CRAZY,,VERIZON DOESN'T OFFER A FIX,,HTC SAME,,MY PHONE HAS BEEN EXCHANGED 6 TIMES AND THE PROBLEM STILL THE SAME,,,PLEASE DON'T  BUY A THUNDERBOLT

0 Likes
tim600sl
Contributor - Level 3

Would NOT recommend the thunderbolt. This phone worked fine for me for about a month, after that it's been a nightmare. Up to this moment I have been ALWAYS happy with verizon and especially every phone that I had. This one totally missed it. This phone is nothing but trouble. Those who don't have issues MOST LIKELY will in the future.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I recommended the Thunderbolt to a co-worker before the phone came out.  I pretty much regret it now, as he has had to exchange the phone at least once.  I don't remember what his issues were.  He said that he still likes the phone, though, and just wish it didn't have the problems that it has. 

For the next co-worker, I recommended an iPhone 4.  He is an Apple guy and to me, an iPhone just made more sense for him.  He hasn't purchased yet, so I don't know what his satisfaction will be.

I made my recommendation based on what the phone offered on paper.  I'm not a Thunderbolt owner and did not have my personal experience to share.  There are bad phones with every release; sometimes more, sometimes less.  Utilizing the 14 day buyer's remorse period is key when purchasing a smartphone.

0 Likes
jenn571
Enthusiast - Level 3
I LOVE my TB!! It's a great phone and I've not had one issue with it....BUTTTTT, I would not recommend it to a friend. I do not have the reboot or the data issues, but I also NEVER downloaded the update that eff'd up a lot of TB's (ie. the reboots). I honestly couldn't tell you how I would handle it if my TB rebooted 5-10 times a day, that's insane! Any new TB that someone would buy today would come with that update and VZW has yet to come out with a fix. It's like playing russian roulette when you buy a new TB today. So my answer is no, I would not recommend this phone to a friend.

ETA: I've had my phone since release day.
0 Likes
nightrider1947

Until Verizon or HTC do something about this phone I would NOT recommended to anyone. The constant reboots are driving me crazy!!! Tonight on my birthday I went to the local Redbox to pickup my free movie with a code the sent me, had the email open when the phone rebooted and lost my email and could not get my free movie, so would I recommend this phone HELL NO!!

0 Likes
vinnyp61

I agree I have had my Tbolt since May 30th and I love it no problems at all Highly recomended

Erin wrote:

I would absolutely recommend the Thunderbolt, and I have.  I'm sorry your friend has problems, but I haven't had one issue.  I've had it over a month and have nothing but good to say about it.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i would.....and i have. recomended to my best friend's wife when it launched. she has had a few small issues, but she had an eris that gave her nighmares before so she actually loves her tbolt. her husband has since got one and loves his (wanted the bionic but was tired of waiting). i love mine and i love htc sense. people have asked me on the forums though and i have told them that i love it but that they really need to research the reboot issue and decide if they can live with that until a fix is released....just in case they get one with the problem.

0 Likes