Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Filosophic1 wrote:

I hate to complain, but this has become totally unacceptable.  I have not altered in any way, shape or form, the original programming of my Thunderbolt.  i.e., it has not been rooted.  I downloaded the OTA update, and have been miserable ever since.  Aside from the constant rebooting, (approximately 8 times today so far), after some of the reboots, I have no internet connection whatsoever, and have to do ANOTHER manual reboot to get my data connection back.  At 5-10 minutes per reboot, and a loss of battery power with each reboot, this has gotten past the point of being ridiculous.  A GPS receiver that is semi-accurate at best, a mobile hotspot that can barely go more than a hour without constantly connecting and disconnecting, and absolutely no real help from tech support.  I'm sorry, but the solution to these problems has to be better than:  1.  Pull your battery.  2. Do a master reset.  3.  Do another factory reset. 

For the price paid for these devices, I expect something a little better for my hard earned money.  Having to wipe all data from my phone, and then going through the pain in the neck of having to re-download and install the apps that I had installed previously gets old after awhile.  And I for one refuse to send in a phone that I paid for, and got brand new, for a "Like New Phone"  i.e., a used phone, that could or could not be in worse shape than the phone I already own.  I know that I take meticulous care of my phones, and I for one will not accept someone else's cast off phone, no matter how shiny it is. 

That's my $.02 Verizon....having been a loyal customer for more years than I can begin to count, it's time for you guys to step up to the plate.

Your problem is right there in your second paragraph. It's an app that's ruining your phone. Remove all your apps, and do NOT re-download them. I think you'll find it runs a lot smoother

0 Likes
easymon

mine worked fine before update even did master reboot and left it stock still had reboot probs. so dont think its apps. gess we have to wait for the next update . or if you exchange phone hope it has old version on it and dont update till fixed update.

0 Likes
Filosophic1

Your problem is right there in your second paragraph. It's an app that's ruining your phone. Remove all your apps, and do NOT re-download them. I think you'll find it runs a lot smoother

Ok, I left something out.  After the first of my master resets, I did not reinstall any apps on my phone, and still was having problems with rebooting.  Now, aside from that, what is the point of having a phone that is supposed to be able to run these apps, and then not downloading them?
0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

To everyone following this thread and commenting everything you are saying is why I decided to write this. We bought the Thunderbolt because it's the latest and greatest but are having the same issues with it and Verizon's troubleshooting process is leaving us with second rate used, refurbished, probably fixed factory blemished ( I say this because where do you get used brand new T-bolts ?? ) devices and it's not getting us anywhere but **bleep** off. In my opinion if you can't handle what's going on with your Thunderbolt just reactivate your old phone ( if you're lucking enough to still have it ) and wait for a solution in the way of another update or Verizon actually fixing the hardware. Another option I was presented with on my last call to tech support is VZW offered to replace my Thunderbolt with another device like a Droid X or another 3g device but not a new one it will still be refurbished and I can't even get a 4g replacement as they wont trade for a Droid Charge. Which I thought to be slap in the face since I sold my Droid X to get the Thunderbolt. 

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Filosophic1 wrote:

Ok, I left something out.  After the first of my master resets, I did not reinstall any apps on my phone, and still was having problems with rebooting.  Now, aside from that, what is the point of having a phone that is supposed to be able to run these apps, and then not downloading them?

If it WERE the apps doing this, that is NOT a phone issue. That is a corrupt app, and the market is full of them. There are tons of apps that don't work on any Android phone, or that mess them up. Clearly the Thunderbolt is just a mess of a product, and should be recalled if all these complaints are genuine.

0 Likes
shawnshine
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look, right now there is a problem, we all know it. Verizon just keeps putting us off. There's nothing they are going to do for you, probably because the problem is much bigger then they thought and is growing. They can't just throw new or like new phones at us all day long. It just costs them money. So they keep stalling us until they can figure out what to do about it. Which so far has been not much.  Why 4G is causing this is up for debate. Some say it's the radio itself, others say it's the firmware that introduced bad code, and still others say it's something goofy with the network adversely affecting only certain batches of the 4g radio that were installed on the phone. I think it's probably a combination of all three. There is only ONE SOLUTION for this until it gets resolved. I say only one because even if you do get a new or refurbished you still run the risk of it getting pooched inadvertently. The ONLY WAY to get your phone to stop rebooting is to switch it to 3G and turn off 4G. NOTHING ELSE WORKS. Trust me. I've been banging away on my phone trying to find work arounds and alternatives. The simple truth is that if the 4G LTE radio is turned on it's going to continue to reset. You can do hard resets all day long and it's not going to fix it. Switching it to 3G only is the right thing to do. You'll lose some speed, but do you really care how fast it is if you can only use your phone for once an hour before it craps out again? Save your sanity. Switch to 3G and ride it out until Verizon and HTC get a fix. Who knows how long it will take? I don't. But I'm tired of listening to Verizon Support tell me to do hard resets and lose all your data again and again. Do a search in the community forum for "Thunderbolt Reboots" to find my quick how to on switching to 3G if you don't already know how. I hope this saves you further aggravation with the phone. Be **bleep** at Verizon, not your phone.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

This is what kills me about the whole thing... I described my rebooting and some other misc. issues I'm having with my TB to tech support and of course they want me to try a master reset or they'll send a replacement device. So I asked her to think about the troubleshooting process she is putting me through and asked if we are really going to come to conclusion. I asked this because she kept telling me the new software is the known cause of this issue and until a new update comes out the problem will continue. So I asked " if the update is the issue then why is it still being pushed to phones and if I could get a new un-updated phone my problem would be corrected based on your theory of the update". After some debate she replied with "what do you want me to do" and I said "send me a new Thunderbolt". She over and over said that was not an option but after talking with a supervisor I'm being sent a Droid Charge to see if a completely different device is the solution. Could you imagine this in the car world.. Sir we're sorry your Corvette isn't working out here's a Porsche 911 turbo instead... Really the solution is to send out a more expensive device then to give out a new one of the same device! I guess I'll just take the keys to the Porsche and run then hope it doesn't break down 😄

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Mine did it with and without apps so whoever thinks its the apps is wrong. After replacing it 3 times , 2 with updates 2 to do rebooting I got 1 without update and with the same apps I had works for now been a week.
0 Likes
SeanNM

I think it's unfortunate people are having problems with the TB.  I think that can be said with every phone. Hopefully as time goes on, these glitches are ironned out.  I've had mine for a little over a month and the only problem..well glitch.. is that sometime on my weather window on the main screen it gives me the weather of another city...one time (I'm in NM) it gave me weather for Miami and even synced my time to Miami (counted three times but corrects itself).  As far as third party apps, I think we should have a choice of the apps that are put on the phone.  I haven't used blockbuster or that golf game and it is frustrating that we as the owner of the phone can not delete those.  I know CS will tell us that everyone phone has to be the same in theroy for them to keep things stable but maybe some of the Verizon pushed third party apps could really be taken off and help the phone perform better. 

That's my opinion.. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Some of the apps are from the manufacturer and not the carrier.  It's easier pointing the finger at the carriers, but that's how we get great subsidization on some of these devices.  A lot of these apps take up very little resources.  I believe only the games on the thunderbolt is greater than 10MB.  Well VZnav is that large as well...  Most are negligable.  A lot of them don't even take up 7-8MB of ram at startup combined.

The way Android works especially when you don't use the "bloat" they'll get shut down and reloaded when the OS doesn't need the ram anymore.  So if your OS needs that 7-8MB of ram then it will get it to run what you need to run.  What actually takes up most of the ram is Sense...  I believe that accounts for 40MB of the total usage(Have to remember 128MB is partitioned off for the GPU I believe not 100% positive).

SeanNM wrote:

I think it's unfortunate people are having problems with the TB.  I think that can be said with every phone. Hopefully as time goes on, these glitches are ironned out.  I've had mine for a little over a month and the only problem..well glitch.. is that sometime on my weather window on the main screen it gives me the weather of another city...one time (I'm in NM) it gave me weather for Miami and even synced my time to Miami (counted three times but corrects itself).  As far as third party apps, I think we should have a choice of the apps that are put on the phone.  I haven't used blockbuster or that golf game and it is frustrating that we as the owner of the phone can not delete those.  I know CS will tell us that everyone phone has to be the same in theroy for them to keep things stable but maybe some of the Verizon pushed third party apps could really be taken off and help the phone perform better. 

That's my opinion.. 

0 Likes