Can't connect to Mobile Hot Spot on any devices
eblackwell

My HP laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium.  My tablet is running Android 4.0.1.4

I start the Mobile Hot Spot on my phone and have no problems.  But no device can connect to it. The Windows troubleshooter can't find any problems. I just get Windows cannot connect.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps on VZ Wireless Support page and it didn't work.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to Mobile Hot Spot on any devices
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

Well is the setting of only allowed devices checked in the mhs settings? Is your ssid hidden in the advanced mhs setting? Is dhcp enabled. Have you checked on the computer side to make sure something isn't wrong there? Does your computer see the mhs?

0 Likes
eblackwell

The computer and the tablet see the connection and try to connect; but it doesn't go through.

Called Verizon support and it was something with HotSpot on the phone.  Unfortunately, I had to go back to factory default to get it to work again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for going through the troubleshooting steps that were provided. I'm glad the reset was able to help you get access again.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pattynmmi

Hello. I have the Galaxy SIII and I am having the same issue. My phone states that the Hot Spot is on and my ASUS computer see the phone but it cannot connect. I am not sure what is meant by reset to factory settings or the mhs, etc. Of course, I need the connection in an hour for a meeting.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to help out!

@pattynmmi,

I know how important it is to be able to use the mobile hotspot on your device when you need it the must, especially for your meeting. I'm here to make sure it's up and running so this doesn't happen again.

A hard reset http://vz.to/LfV00q will reset the phone back to manufacturer setting and will delete all data on the phone. But before you try that I have a few questions.

Are you able to connect other devices to your mobile hotspot or is this only with your ASUS computer? What software version are you running on the phone?

Make sure your phone is set to allow all devices to connect to the mobile hotspot.

1. From a home screen, select Apps (located in the lower-right).
2. From the Apps tab, select Mobile Hotspot.
3. Select the Network SSID name (located near top of screen).
4. Select the connection mode:
* Allow all devices 
* Only allowed devices

Please check the above setting and keep me posted if you are still unable to connect your computer to your mobile hotspot.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ToddBMarshall

Check your clock:

My Samsung Galaxy S3 would not set up the Mobile Hot Spot. It said it could not connect ... try later. Well, later never came. I saw this thread and was shocked to learn a complete factory reset was the cure. That meant backing up about 14GB of data from the phone; resetting the phone; re-installing the latest version (who knows how that was to be done ... hopefully automatically, but requiring about 2GB download); and then restoring the backup.

Well, I took the backup. Then, rather than reset, I decided to see if it could restore the backup I just took. It did a pitiful job informing it couldn't back up all my contacts, s-memos, s-planner, video, and music. It didn't tell me what it failed on. It had been working on my photos for a couple hours. There were nearly a dozen objects to do after that, one of which was a huge downloaded music database application.

I got lucky. Before starting the reset, I was reviewing my data usage history. It was way out of wack. Then I noticed the time was off ... by a couple of years. I reset the time and bammo ... my data history was right again. So I tried to start the Mobile Hotspot. This time it started. So all along, the problem was the time setting. This was caused by my phone going completely dead and not properly reconfiguring itself when I charged it back up.

There is no excuse for this kind of software behavior. And recommending a factory reset should make the support tech a candidate for immediate replacement.

0 Likes
mdrannor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this problem on my Droid.  I resolved it by changing the SSID  broadcasting channel number.  Open the Hotspot app and activate the  hotspot.  Select "Configure Mobile Hotspot."  From there you can change  the broadcast channel.  Hopefully this will resolve everyone else's  problem as well.