Re: Aug 1st ...... Still no ICS
cansofspam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Whether you care or not has little to do with my question.

IF VZW pushed android 1.0 or dos 3.11 or anything "lesser" than what it shipped with, would you think this to be a violation of any sort?

Even if jelly bean was available for the rezound (I have yet to see it), depending on interpretation of cell phone software modification laws, you could be committing a felony by loading it yourself.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

cansofspam wrote:

Whether you care or not has little to do with my question.

IF VZW pushed android 1.0 or dos 3.11 or anything "lesser" than what it shipped with, would you think this to be a violation of any sort?

Even if jelly bean was available for the rezound (I have yet to see it), depending on interpretation of cell phone software modification laws, you could be committing a felony by loading it yourself.

it is not a felony to load anytjing on your phone.  android is open source, and free, you can download it from google anytime you want

id bet there is a section in the contract/tos that states verizon can push any os to the phone if they choose

my pc shipped with winxp, but it has win7 on it now.  anything can be changed.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

When you say stuff like this, it shows just how little you know. In no way is loading custom firmware a felony. In fact, it was ruled perfectly legal. It may, however, void your warranty, and is against the TOS of this site to discuss it here.

JustSomeOne

Back on topic...

If you don't want the hassle of hacking your phone. There is no option for ICS for purchasers who were promised delivery of the OS in EARLY 2012. The problem is the phone is released and the importance of making it work has dropped off to both companies. That's the facts of business. They are counting on you forgetting about it. Heck a good chunk of buyers probably don't even really care - say 70-80%?

As for my experience when you install non-supported operating systems on your phone you are at the least going to have a painful experience. I got tired of it personally. And if something happens to the phone without the supported OS - you are out of luck. Yes there are loads out there and have been. Personally being an IT professional who uses their phone for work; I don't have time to screw around with my phone all the time - it needs to just work. Which at this point it does. I am not going to say there are not occasional bugs; but name a phone that is totally bug free. It has great reception, sufficient battery life (if a plug is around) and is mostly reliable. It's why I bought HTC over a couple other brands.

0 Likes
cansofspam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Felony or not the FCC considers it fraud per their webpage:

Cellular fraud is defined as the unauthorized use, tampering or manipulation of a cellular phone or service.

Did someone authorize you to load any firmware you wanted on the phone?

Sounds like unauthorized tampering or manipulation of a cellular phone to me. But hey, I'm not a lawyer.

-granted I doubt they have any real concern with you loading OS, but some ROMs also flash the radio firmware. I imagine the FCC would have concerns about that.

Perhaps you're thinking of allowing of Jailbreaking? (in so much that it isn't a violation DMCA, at least so long as that exemption continues to be renewed every 3 years)

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

actually the radio is a seperate flash, and usually they are not tweaked

0 Likes
beluga03

im downloading ics now it was pushed to me about five mins ago

0 Likes