Without using cellular data and wireless connection, how can I send a picture via text messaging
ROBREY18

On my Samsung 5 I can send a picture via text message without turning on cellular data and not connected to a wireless network.  How can I do this on a pixel phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Without using cellular data and wireless connection, how can I send a picture via text messaging
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you aren't using cellular, and you aren't using wifi - how ARE you sending it?  Bluetooth? 

0 Likes
Re: Without using cellular data and wireless connection, how can I send a picture via text messaging
Weth
Legend

Every Verizon phone I have seen needs either cellular  data connection active for MMS or wifi calling active and on wifi.

0 Likes
ROBREY18

Both my wife and son have the Samsung 5 neither one of them ever turn on cellular data and they can stand in the middle of a farm field take a picture and text it to another person.  I also have an old Cosmo texting phone and I can also stand in the middle of Mojave desert take a picture and text the picture

I cannot do this with the Pixel phone.  I have also found that in order to listen to my voice mail I have to turn on cellular data.

The conspiracy side of me says Google and Version have teamed up to derive up consumer cost by driving up data.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Not sure why the Samsung S5 allows this with data off, but MMS absolutely requires data channel to work. It cannot go over cellular voice only like regular non mlultimedia SMS text messages. Every Verizon phone I deal with won't send MMS with data turned off. In fact, we see lots of questions on that in this forum. So your experience with the S5 is the exception rather than the Pixel being the exception. Same with visual voice mail, it requires the data channel. You can always call your mailbox to get your messages the old fashioned way.

0 Likes
ROBERTOTAYLOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is this a serious question, or are you trolling?

You can't send any kind of data (text, picture, etc), with out some sort of data connection. Stop trolling!

0 Likes
ROBREY18

Not trolling.  On my Samsung 5 I can have mobile data off, then standing in the middle of a corn field, take a picture and then text that picture to someone else and they will receive it.Apparently this is not possible on a Pixel.  Which I've confirmed with VZ.  After we installed VZ messenger I we achieved 50% of my question.  With cellular data off but connected to a wifi connection I can now text a picture.  But still cannot send a picture while standing in a corn field or even a shopping mall.  By the way my local shopping indoor mall does not have an open wifi.

[Removed]

personal information  removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

|

0 Likes
ROBREY18

By the way if you believe me, go to your local VZ store and try it out. Ask a sales person who had a Samsung phone have him turn off mobile data, and turn off the wifi connection. Then send yourself a text message, then take a picture and text it to yourself.  You will receive both messages. I know this for a fact because I showed the store manager, a Pixel lover and a Samsung liver.  Once I demonstrated this they went into the backroom for a huddle 10 minutes worth, they came backed out and offered me a replacement phone if my choice without any fees.  Do I went back to my Cosmo texting phone.  Which works just fine.  If you come up with a solution let me know and I'll go to VZ store and I'll test it out.

[Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I didn't don't your observations. Just indicated for almost every phone on Verizon's network, you must have a data connection. Your experience with the S5 is the exception. I don't even think newer Samsung's would do the same thing.

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

For the heck of it, I just tried this with my S5 and successfully sent a 40 kb picture to my wife's phone.  Data and WiFi are both off on my S5 and I've never used bluetooth.  I also checked for data usage recorded by Chomp, my text app, and there is none.

0 Likes