WiFi call drops immediately
devopsmyth
Enthusiast - Level 1

Phone: Google Pixel 3 - Android 10

ISP Type/Speed: Cable ~1Gbps

OPNSense Firewall Appliance - dedicated LAN connectivity and routing

WiFi - Linksys WRT3200ACM running OpenWRT 19.07.3

Just upgraded my Linksys Wireless APs (no routing done on them) from OpenWRT 19.07.2 to 19.07.3, and sense the change my Google Pixel 3 cell phone drops any call that it tries to switch to WiFi-Calling with, which is all calls because I'm in the boondocks and cellular coverage is LOW at best. I can turn off WiFi on my phone and my calls do alright over LTE as long I'm not moving around the house too much. Every call that tries to switch to WiFi goes silent, and then drops.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi call drops immediately
devopsmyth
Enthusiast - Level 1

The issue seems to have corrected itself after a couple power outage related hard resets. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

devopsmyth, we would recommend seeking support from the router OEM. Typically, they provide free support within a certain time-frame after initial purchase. Alternatively, if you subscribe to 'Total Mobile Protection', you would have access to 'Tech Coach'. You can find our more here: https://www.verizon.com/support/tech-coach/. Please let us know if you have any additional concerns. TerranceT_VZW

0 Likes
devopsmyth
Enthusiast - Level 1

The issue seems to have corrected itself after a couple power outage related hard resets. Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

devopsmyth, this is awesome news to hear. We are always here for support when you need us. 

0 Likes
dougbohling
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've not found a solution and I've tried various fixes with online searching.  I've learned that my iPhone will attempt to switch from wifi calling back to LTE if it detects enough connectivity and this is a Verizon attribute.  Installed new Comcast router with hi-speed connectivity.  Tried the airplane mode you'll find as an online solution.   We have 2 iPhones in the house and they both drop the wifi calls including the brand new 12.  3-5 minutes and the call is gone.  Since this is now business at home it's really been harmful.  Had to buy a $19 dollar Vtech plug in and forward/unforward when I leave the house.  The Verizon store recommended I buy a $300 booster.  Frustrating.  Thx.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dougbohling, I am sorry for the issues you are having. We want nothing more than to provide you the help you need. As an iPhone user, I had the same problem in the past. I resolved the issue I was having by disabling Wi-Fi Assist. Settings > Cellular. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and turn Off (white) the Wi-Fi Assist switch. Please let us know if the issue is resolved.

JacobG_VZW 

0 Likes
dougbohling
Enthusiast - Level 1

HI Jacob,

I"m afraid we had already tried that setting.  Its been disabled (off) for some time as we went thru what we could find online that might be a fix.  Tried the airplane mode and sat right next to the new router after we tried different locations for it.   Our wi-fi signal is very strong but we generally have 1 bar, or none, on the cellular network.  Thx

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us posted, Dougbohling. Are all your phones experiencing this issue currently up to date? How many devices do you have connected to your home Wi-Fi when the Wi-Fi Calls start dropping? 

KiaH_VZW

0 Likes