Re: WiFi Calling keeps turning off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon, fgossieaux. Staying connected is certainly important. I want to ensure we get to the root of this. To confirm, do you encounter this issue with multiple Wi-Fi networks? What changes have occurred with your device? (setting changes, software update, etc.) As the phone is less than a month old, when did the issue begin?

Jaime_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ROBCON47

Having same issue with my pixel 2 and after reading this thread will be taking it back for another phone . Too bad I liked the phone otherwise. Had an I phone for years and when you set it to wifi calling it stays there . Hope this gets figured out for other users

0 Likes
Jtb5031

I have the same exact issue with my Pixel 2 XL. I work remotely and cannot rely on my Pixel phone to send and receive calls. If I had known of this issue, I would have went with a Samsung or another phone service provider. My phone is fully charged, on WiFi and not moving around to become disconnected from WiFi. The wifi calling feature randomly shuts itself off on a regular basis throughout a single day, everyday. This shouldn't be a "Oh, just try changing your configuration to this" issue. I can find countless threads in forums dating back through the pixels release on this issue. How hard is it to fix it? I came to Google line of phones for camera quality but I will leave it to get a fully functioning phone.

0 Likes
tiredoftalus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perhaps we shouldn't blame Google and Pixel phones. If you search the web, you see several brands of phone with wifi issues on verizon. Both mine and my wife's Moto Z Play Android [bought from Verizon] have wifi connection issues. It seems that there is no way to make WIFI calling default and make the phone ignore a weak mobile signal. A verizon rep suggested airplane mode, then reconnecting to wifi. Some times worked, sometimes got the message that the phone can't make a call in airplane mode.

Here is a workaround that has worked for a few days that I read on a Motorola forum. 1. Go into airplane mode. Turn off wifi if you turned it on after entering airplane mode. 2. Restart your phone. 3. Turn wifi on. Good luck.

JULSOU38
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the exact same issue with my Google Pixel 2 XL phone. I have had the phone for 6 months and the problem has been going on the entire time. We are also in an area with very poor Verizon coverage, and wifi calling is a necessity. It is very frustrating to try to make or receive a call and find that wifi calling has been turned off. I've contacted Verizon tech support about this issue several times and they have no idea how to solve it other than suggesting factory resets. I had no idea until I found this thread that this is a common problem. Seems like Verizon would come up with a fix for this since it is affecting so many customers. We were using Metro PCS and a Samsung phone before switching to Verizon and the Google Pixel 2 never had a problem with Wifi calling. Due to this issue and some other issues that my Google Pixel was having, I requested and received a warranty replacement phone last week. Wifi calling has already shut off twice on the new phone. As some of the other posters have described, this is a random shut off and when wifi calling is on, it works. My daughter has an iPhone with Verizon and is not having this issue with her wifi calling.

JULSOU38
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wanted to add that even when the Wi-Fi calling is turned on, the phone will still sometimes try to use the Verizon network for calls. This is a problem because Verizon's coverage at our home is terrible. I might start a call off having terrible reception, and then the phone will switch to Wi-Fi and have a message come up that says "continuing call on Wi-Fi," at which point the call becomes crystal clear. I don't know if this is a Google problem or a Verizon problem, but so far, I am very disappointed with Verizon's response to this issue. When Wi-Fi calling is turned on, the phone should not still be trying to use the mobile network-- it should be using Wi-Fi calling when connected to WiFi. Plus, the phone should not be randomly turning Wi-Fi calling off completely.

jjthomas
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm new here, I hope I do this correctly.

I am having WiFi disconnect problems.  It happens here at home, and also at work. At work there are several of us using WiFi.  I am the only one having the problem.  The phone is not even two weeks old. 

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you.

-Juliam

MIKETHEJULSON
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue with my Google pixel 2 XL I even went so far as to get a replacement and the issue has not changed. It really started getting worse and worse about two patches ago or two and a half months ago. I spoke to Google and they tried to pass the buck off and say that it was a carrier issue but I forwarded that excuse when I explained that even in airplane mode the pixel software is removing security credentials and removing me from the network forcing me to go into roaming. Could be a Verizon thing could be a Google thing, either way your best bet in getting real help is going through Google. What a joke sorry about your problem I hope you get it fixed. I'm struggling with it too, I have a phone appointment with Google in an hour I'll come back and update for you to see if there's anything that I find out

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
MIKETHEJULSON
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google just told me that Wi-Fi calling is controlled by Verizon. That seems to make sense because if you notice in the settings and on the shade the part that you pull down at the top of the screen it says Verizon Wi-Fi calling I can definitely see them disabling it thus forcing you to increase your data rates so they can try to sell you on a higher plan. Google has no stake in making their product look bad, kind of like how AT&T and Apple users have their phone slow down when they get older because the manufacturer actually slows them down to make them think they need a new phone. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some stuff like that

0 Likes
MIKETHEJULSON
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a problem inherent to the pixel line of phones. None of the other smartphones in my residence or my neighbors have the issue. But the funny thing is it's a Verizon software that controls the Wi-Fi calling even on an unbranded Google Store purchased pixel phone it's still in the Wheelhouse of Verizon. I can't seem to get Verizon or Google to nail down exactly what it is but with Google at least they're saying the problem might be with them and they're willing to try to work it out with me. I'm on the other chat line with them right now, and I've already had to go through the hassle of replacing my phone thinking it was just a singularity, I should have done my research. But this was never a problem until about 2 months ago, was it a problem for you before that? I also noticed that it became exceedingly worse after last security patch. Google's telling me the security credentials might have something to do with it. Something about Verizon wanting to data mine your phone and the Google pixel phone trying to prevent unauthorized access. That is not a solid answer and it's not a hundred percent me and this gentleman are really just speaking peer-to-peer about it he just happens to work for Google. Like I said not a definitive answer but it sure sounds right

0 Likes