When do I get the Sept 1st Android Security Update for Pixel XL?
salguod3791

September 16th, and I’m still waiting for Verizon to send me the September 1st Android security update for my Pixel XL. You know, the update that stops your phone from being taken over via bluetooth by any teenage hacker? Nothing very important, mind you...take your time. Sadly, although most people have the update, I have to wait for Verizon to send the update to my humble phone. After 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon, they explained that the update is being released in stages and my phone has not reached that stage. They then gave me a helpful link to their webpage where I could “download the update now”. Except that there is no download link there. The instructions are to go to “Settings, System, System Updates” to get the update. Of course, I’ve been doing that since September 1st and Verizon still says that my phone is current with the August 5th security patch level.

Doug

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: When do I get the Sept 1st Android Security Update for Pixel XL?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The updates are staggered by Google not Verizon Wireless. I only got the update yesterday myself. Which is actually kind of a normal for me as the August and July update didn't arrive until the middle of the month.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
salguod3791

This is contrary to everything we were told when we pre-ordered our pixel phones (in my case, from the Google Store). Verizon customers were hoping that the updates would come from Google and not Verizon. But then we were told that the updates would indeed be coming from Verizon and not Google... "but don't worry because Verizon will pass the updates along immediately". So now you are saying that Google is updating Verizon Pixel phones and/or that Google is responsible for the delay? Do you have a source for this info? Everyone I know on Project Fi already has the update. I'll try to verify that all Project Fi customers have the update. But in the meantime, I can't use my Bluetooth for fear of being hacked. A 17 day delay on a critical security update like this is silly.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The security updates come from Google. They are being released to the Verizon Pixels at the same time as Google versions. It appears that the September updates weren't readily available from Google until the 12th of September or so which means that I only had to wait until the 15th before I got the update. Which is an improvement from the August update released on the 5th and didn't reach my Pixel until the 15th or so. So you haven't been able waiting 17 days for the update. I certainly have been worried about it. I have used my Bluetooth every day before and after the update.

[Update: September security patches still to come] Google releases Android's September security bull...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes