Text Message won't send when connected to Wifi
conman08
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and thought a phone upgrade would fix it.  I've since purchased a Pixel 3a and I'm still experiencing the same problem, must be a network related issue.  

When connected to wi-fi and I try to send a text message, the message won't send but will say "Sending" for 5-10 minutes before I get a notification that the text was never sent.  I attempt to retry sending but the same issue occurs.  

My system is up to date, I'm using the standard messaging app.  If I turn off my wi-fi while the message is "sending" it goes right through.  I'm always connected to Wifi at home and at work so now I may go hours without realizing my text never sent. This seems to be happening with all my contacts.  

Labels (1)
Re: Text Message won't send when connected to Wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to be able to send/receive text messages. Can you receive texts on Wi-Fi? Have you tried restarting your router and device? Please connect to another Wi-Fi network and try this again.  EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
Melyssamello
Enthusiast - Level 1

We just switched to Verizon on Sunday (yesterday)

At home and at Best Buy no issues connecting and sending text messages

Work on Monday cannot send messages at all when connected to wifi.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Welcome to our Verizon Wireless family and we certainly want to start you off on the right foot! What model is your phone? Have you only tested the messaging capabilities on your work Wi-Fi or on multiple different networks? YaleK_VZW

0 Likes
Amanda_L_S
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same question.  I have an Iphone XS.  When connected to my work wifi my text messages won't send and I get multiple duplicate messages.  No issues at all with iMessages.  This has been happening for a year.  I have zero problems when not connected to wifi and no problems when on my home network.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us, Amanda_L_S. It's important to text, so I understand your concern when you can't send text messages. I'm here to help. Are you able to send text messages from other Wi-Fi networks? Do you have trouble with calls? Had there been any recent changes with the WI-Fi at work?

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes
jozefrs
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having the exact same issue, now on my unlocked Galaxy Fold. I've spent countless hours speaking with support to no avail. I am able to make and receive calls and texts on home wifi and mobile connections but not my wifi at work, which has been the same for some time

bearone21
Legend

wi-fi is an extension of email & if you're not using the smtp server for the host email at work, starbucks, etc....messages don't send.

0 Likes
jozefrs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Someone on Reddit helped me find a fix and explain this issue.

For the fix, turn WiFi calling off and restart your phone. If you don't restart after disabling WiFi calling, the issue will persist.

The problem stems from common enterprise firewalls. They often are set, whether purposefully or not, to block the ways WiFi calling communicates through the network.

For everyone here like @conman08 @Amanda_L_S @Melyssamello  try this and see if it works!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's worrying to see you're also unable to send text messages when your device is connected to Wi-Fi, and we are here to help. Please tell us, what messaging app are you using? Is your device in Airplane Mode while connecting to Wi-Fi? Is this impacting all numbers that you're trying to reach via text message?

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes